Problems with Smartlock!! Botch, Dom and others?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2001, 23:25   #1 (permalink)
Australian Fairmont Member

Problems with Smartlock!! Botch, Dom and others??

Hi guys and gals,

Have put in the 4.0 and Tranny (and a hell of a lot more) out of an ED into my EA ghia (as some may remember from earlier posts). Before anyone asks - it is a series I EA - 3spd auto :). 99% done and running....

Question - it only starts when I have the old ECU in - because I haven't figured out how to get around giving the codes from the smartlock module to the ED ECU to enable it. Can't use this ECU though as it has no way of running the 4spd auto.

Here's the question - do any of you know the sequence/enable code that the smartlock module puts out to enable the ECU?? - or any websites etc that give the info?? Any help appreciated. No I am not about to start stealing ED's all over the place either!!!

It is either this - or install the smartlock system (have run out of patience for that big time) - or buy an ECU from an EB series II pre smartlock. Every wrecker is quoting $150 to $200 for that ECU.... ...needless to say that is a last resort just for now.

I have removed pin 4 from the ECU harness - hasn't helped. Want to know how to get around the smartlock requirements for the ED ECU as I already have a good alarm system in the EA and the smartlock is not something I wish to install.

Someone mentioned something a couple of months back on here about someone developing a simple device to send the enable codes to the ECU without smartlock - but can't find anything about this.

I have the smartlock module - but do not wish to enstall this as it will mean boot, doors, starter motor, and so on and so on. Is there an easy way to connect the smartlock module just so it spits out the enable code for the ECU?? Big ask that last one but I'd rather spend the $150 to $200 towards a mild cam to drop in later on instead of a non smartlock ECU that runs the 4 spd ayto if possible.

Hope it makes sense - any pointers to right direction would help lads!!!

Cheers

M.......
Mallyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2001, 06:06   #2 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Yep it was me that mentioned it. Dug through my mail archives to find a message from that bloke regarding the smartlock issue. Here is what he had to say regarding it.

"I have built up a Smartlock simulator for ED - EL's. It simply attaches to the ECM where the Smartlock signal goes in and hey presto the car will run!!.

Very useful for folks doing Falcon EFI drop ins to AC Cobra's etc, as it does away with the need for Coded Keys, Key Barrels and BCM."

I dont want to pass on his contact details just yet as this was some time back and I dont know if he wants the attention. I have just sent him an email about it and with any luck should have a positive reply coming.

Of course some time spent with the ECU and smartlock module setup and an oscilloscope handy should let you build a gizmo for the job if you have some electronic nous.

Note that at least with the ED versions that you only need the Smartlock module linked to the proper ignition barrel for the security aspect. The remote unlocking stuff is just an add-on was probably only included in the module for convenience of production. As you would know the EFs onward feature a BCM to handle that aspect among other things.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 20:15   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

While we're on this topic anyone know how to add or arm an aftermarket burgler alarm from the Smartlock - Central Locking System in an NC II?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:12   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I was intending to use a latching relay chip connected to the central locking wire to activate the alarm so that it turns on an off when I used the button on the key. The difficulty is that if I lock the doors with the dash switch the alarm will turn on. Hmm can i isolate the dash switch with a diode......better ideas anyone?
Old 01-01-2002, 20:28   #5 (permalink)

Smile Thank anakha

Thanks anakha,

If you hear from him - post away asap!!!!! I am heading back to the country this wekend to finish the job and if I don't have to buy a non-smartlock ECU - would be great.

Also, you mentioned the ED smartlock module only needed the ignition barrel to be connected. If this true - let me know as I have the full donor car and can pull the ignition from the ED and put it on the EA. Let me know of any tips you have along thses lines.

Thanks - it is definitely appreciated. Would love to know how to get past the ECU being disabled. As for an oscilliscope - last time I used one of them was in uni nearly 10 years ago :).

Later mate - appreciate the help for sure,

M......
Old 01-01-2002, 20:49   #6 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

I would say the quickest and easyest is the diode. Good idea.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Chromed Member

sorry to take so long to read this mallyboo...

Here goes.

If you have the donor car, i would suggest pulling out the module, ignition lock assembly and flashing LED in the dash.

This is all you will need to get the right code to the ecu.

If you havent swapped over the completed dash loom, you can just cut the loom to the module and make sure that you have the following connected to the smartlock module......

1. battery suply
2. acc power, or is it ignition?
3. negative from back of interior light switch on doorpillar
4. 4 pin plug from ignition lock to module
5. led (2 wires)
6 signal wire from smartlock to ecu

I hope i havnt missed any ( memory gone from too much fosters)

As already mentioned, the central locking and boot dont need to be connected for the smartlcok to work.

You wont need to program anything if the lock and smartlcok module are out of the same car (they are already taught, even when battery disconnected). Hook it up and it should go.

btw most of these wires can be found on the ea where the module for the central locking etc is (above the handbrake)

I put a smartlock module in my NA limo and wired up the LED, IGNITION MODULE LOCK (because I wanted tibbe locks), connected to central locking and boot release (cos i wanted the button.....lazzzzy boy). I didnt connect the ecu enable wire cos its only got a 3.9 ECU.

What i ended up with was a factory looking remote central locking, late model locks and have tricked would be thiefs into thinking it has smartlock (i hope).
:s5 :s5 :s3 :s3 :s3 :s2: :s2: :s6: :s6:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:26   #8 (permalink)

Thanks lads!!!!!!

Choice info lads - really big thumbs up from this happy little camper. Can't wait for the weekend to get back to the farm to finish the job!!!!!!!

I'll post again in a few weeks - going north to Shark Bay for two weeks next week - and let you know how it went.

Bloody lil' ripper :) :).

Ta muchly,

M.........
Old 01-02-2002, 04:22   #9 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Unfortunately my email to they guy bounced. Might be worth a try for someone to email the eec mailing list and see if he responds. Send a blank email to this address for info:

eec-info@eelink.net
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech