Ford Forums banner

Project Induction

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Rollin 
#1 ·
Well with all this induction modification being done i have taken the plunge to modifying the XR6 intake. Since the day i saw the EL/AU i was never happy with the intake setup. The one of the EF is heaps better.

Went to an exhaust shop in Alexandria and got the guy to make an induction pipe out of mild steel to suite the EF airbox lid i purchased.

Decided to stick with the gloss black look and to finish the surface off a layer of clear was sprayed on.

#3 ·
I was gonna say the same thing - but not red - neat idea though if you wanna keep the red theme happening. If I got one, it'd be the same as the headers.

#5 ·
Jase_ELXR8 said:
get it HPC coated.....in red....
Wouldn't HPC coating cost heaps? IF i done the coating i won't do it in red.

#6 ·
XR_Strider_GuY said:
However i require some advise. At the moment the pipe is mild steel spray painted in black. What i would like to know is would chroming the pipe or spraying the pipe silver effect the temperature of the air passing through the pipe? Obviously i want it colder.
It would make no difference.

In my rally car, I have moved the battery to the back seat, and have a ram-pod filter in its place with some 75mm flexible hose ducting air to the throttle. Makes for outstanding throttle response, which is what I need. Never did any tests to see how much better it would be over the standard setup.

#8 ·
Aussie Falcon,
Will try to get piccies of the setup soon.

#9 ·
Here are the pics of the induction mod setup as promised. I have just finished painting the custom pipe in gloss black and a top coat of clear.

Stock Setup.

#10 ·
Custom Pipe.

#11 ·
Stock pipe removed from air duct routing.

#12 ·
The completed setup. This combined with a TSeries intake tube definitly improves the air flow from the stock setup. Very happy with the setup and no doubt a K&N filter will make it breathe even better.

#14 ·
Itsasix!thats why..

#15 ·
Re: intake pipe

IIV8II said:
Pardon my ignorance - but why is your intake pipe smooth to the throtttle body and not rubber ribbed like all the others I've seen?!
Mate, that rubber ribbed design you mentioned is on the EF-EL. All AU 6's have the smooth pipe to the throttle body.

Next project for the future will be too look for a way to change the pipe to the Throttle body with a custom mandrel bent one.

#16 ·
I guess I just learnt something - the s!x (aka half-a-dozen) is speed-density? No MAF?

XR_Strider:
If the s!x is the duck's guts, I search in vain for a fitting superlative for an eight!

#17 ·
Hmm, gaz - aren't you just replacing a smooth plastic pipe with a smooth mild steel pipe? I don't see where you would get any gains there, seeing as you've left the ribbed corner piece and the rest of the original induction piping as is.

#18 ·
Aussie Pete said:
I guess I just learnt something - the s!x (aka half-a-dozen) is speed-density? No MAF?

XR_Strider:
If the s!x is the duck's guts, I search in vain for a fitting superlative for an eight!
LOL, yeah i put that quote there to make me feel better since i only have a six. I have no doubt that a V8 is better.
From power delivery and gear any time torque to the most important part, the sound..........
:dj: :dj:

#19 ·
Venom XR said:
Hmm, gaz - aren't you just replacing a smooth plastic pipe with a smooth mild steel pipe? I don't see where you would get any gains there, seeing as you've left the ribbed corner piece and the rest of the original induction piping as is.
Mark,
The point of me changing the pipe is teh diameter of the hole from the lid on AU's is soo small about 1/2 the size. As well as that the EF lid sucks from the centre of the filter as opposed to teh side. I needed a custom pipe to join existing pipe routing it to the EF lid.
I'm not claiming it makes any kw's but i do feel throttle response is up. I figured if changing to a Tseries tube makes abit of a different then opening up at the filter level would surely make things better.

#21 ·
Re: Re: intake pipe

XR_Strider_GuY said:

Mate, that rubber ribbed design you mentioned is on the EF-EL. All AU 6's have the smooth pipe to the throttle body.

Next project for the future will be too look for a way to change the pipe to the Throttle body with a custom mandrel bent one.
Riiiight - thanks. I never noticed the differecne but shoulda known - my bro has an AU...

#22 ·
my dads car is an EF fairmont with a few mods, and after reading in a magazine about this mod and its supposed benifits, we got an exhaust shop to mandrel bend up a 3" pipe from airbox to throttle body and got it HPC coated, total cost a little less than $300 i think, but i know have heard of a crowd who pre-fab these and have a pod filter on the end, im too lazy to check at the moment. (gain on dyno about 3-4Kw)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.