Ford Forums banner

Proper position for a shaker on an XD

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  XAXEXF 
#1 ·
My mates just bought himself a 351 XD, and he wants to add his shaker onto it while his XY GT is getting rebuilt.

Does anyone know the proper position for it to sit on the bonnet, cos he doesnt want to just slap it in the centre.

If anyone had a measurement or diagram that would be great!

Thanks!

#2 ·
My understanding is that the shaker is attached to the air filter holder (the big round blue thing that sits on the carby). The shaker then pops through a hole in the bonnet - it doesn't just sit on the bonnet.

#3 ·
yeah it is.

I think what my mate meant, is that he wants to cut out the hole now while hes working on the body and getting it resprayed, and then when he puts the shaker on the carby then it will all line up properly.

#5 ·
mate im wonder the same thing exempt i wont to fit a shaker to my 351 xe ghia.

and making a mistake on a ghia bonnet is not an option, as there exceptionally hard to get a straight rust free one now.

i have a XD bonnet at home that was fitted with a shaker (before i took the motor out of it about 2 year ago) but for memory it sat a little to the right, but was otherwise i think i was ok.

if i cant get the measurements as a last resort i will try an measure it of the XD bonnet and try to work out how much it is out.

scope out Ford performance 5 to see 2 sweet looking xe ghia's with shakers. i hope to built mine like the red one.

the shakers set em off. the XD-XF falcons are still boxy like the XY was, thats why they shakers still look sweet.

#6 ·
Get a long air cleaner bolt long enough to just touch the bonnet when it is closed. Remove the air cleaner and put the bolt in the carby and screw it up or down so that when the bonnet is closed it just touches. Then mark the top of the bolt with some paint and close the bonnet. This will leave a paint dot on the underside of the bonnet. From this centre mark you will be able to mark out the size of the hole you need for the shaker. Use the dimensions from the hole in the XY bonnett and mark out from the paint dot.

You will need to have the air filter set up at the correct height so that the rubber seal will seal all the way round the hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.