Ford Forums banner

Psycho fan!

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Dav 
G
#1 ·
Hello everyone ,

I Have a an EA Fairmont Ghia Wagon and the airconditioner fan is behaving very strangely.Of course it is the Climate Control multi speed unit ie no 4 speed switch,just up and down buttons.

The problem is that most of the time full
speed only works. Every so often the regulator system kicks in and the full speed range is available. When not working correctly the fan still goes but VERY slowly and speed changes with the controls from not much to bugger all.

I have pulled out and checked regulator box connections,and would like to know if anyone has come accross this problem or could give me any hints

Regards

Dav

G
#2 ·
RE: Psyco fan!

G'day,
It sounds like the fan resistor is buggered. It is behind the glove box. It is a weird shape, has two screws holding it in and a plug going into it. Pull it out and have a look at it, if it looks stuffed get a new on or one from the wreckers, $5 from the wreckers.

Goodluck.
Tim.

G
#4 ·
Re: RE: Psyco fan!

Yep quite correct jbolger it is an electronic regulator with 10 speeds,using a power transistor instead of resistors.

Does anyone know of a site that has wiring diagrams/service info?

The wiring seems OK but the actual regulator is a very simple device using easily obtainable parts however the power transistor itself is nearly$20 I would like to be sure before getting one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.