Ford Forums banner

PULP on AUII XR8's

2K views 1 reply 0 participants last post by  kiwi 
G
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it's essential to run these motors (200 and 220Kw) on PULP or will they live quite happily on regular ULP, albeit with a performance / economy hit ? Everything I've read (including an e-mail from Ford themselves) states that it's required and I'm not sure if this motor has a knock sensor to adjust for the different octane levels.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G
#2 ·
The AUII XR8 has no knock sensors (unlike the state of the art LS1 - you have to admire chev with things like composite inlet manifold etc).
Ford state minimum 95 RON - this is equivalent to above 98 octane rating. In NZ we have only 96 octane (about 93 RON). You can get 98 if you are prepare to hunt for it. What long term damage will be who knows, but you can bet your last dollar that problems will display themselves after 100,000 km, therefore will be not a 'Ford' problem. Would be interesting what a Ford dealer over there advises on octane rating to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.