Putting an air pod on an XF EFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 22:15   #1 (permalink)

Putting an air pod on an XF EFI

Hey ya,
I brought a cheap air pod the other day from Repco. I was thinking about whacking it on my EFI XF. I thought it would be a quite trivial task until I had a closer look at how the air system works on the XF. I have a few major concerns to ponder over before I start hacking up the original system. If I had a digital camera (curse University poverty line) I would show you the problem. Iíll try to describe the set up and hope that other XF owners know what I am going on about.

Going from the engine to the engine to the air sensor is a heavily curved hose going from appox 60mm from the outlet of the air box to 80mm into the engine. I have to retain the air sensor and the flap mechanism and the inlet of this is only a small square of 50mm. This inlet gets the air from the box with the original filter. From the bottom of the air box is a stagger of restrictive pipe segments that leads near the headlight.

OK.
The problem I can see is that the air box is very restrictive. The inlet is no where near as big as the diameter of the air pod which is 75mm. Any extra freedom from the air pod would be severely hampered from the smaller sides and the Ďflapí airmeter. A stab in the dark and probably a very stupid question is: Can I use a later air sensor (one from an EF for example) instead of the XF air sensor instead? I donít know if the XF computer system is simular (in the air measurement side) to later Fords

If not I probably have to make a flange to joint to the inlet of the air box and join it to the air pod and place it near the battery. Any help or pointers from people who might have previously installed an air box would be *very* appreciated.

Thanks
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
subsonicaudio

Re: Putting an air pod on an XF EFI

i'l post a pic of what i did. basically i had an adapter made to suit the afm so that the pod could bolt on i then went and bought some 3 inch air pipe from auto bahn, and some 3 inch silicon piping. my car had a bonnet scoop on it when i got it (why do ppl do this on sixes) with a hole in the bonnet i simply placed the afm straight after the throttle bodie and the used the air pipe to go from afm to a 3 inch piece off aluminium pipe that is atached to a bcket that places the greddy air filter through the bonnet. There is no reason why you couldn't just move the afm in front of the throttle and run a length of pipe to behind the drivers side front light providing you use a dome style pod filter ($80 for a simota HKS/Greddy rip off that works just as well)

300zx twin turbo

1989 200rrKW turbo mr2 ( I miss it )
subsonicaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech