The quest to eliminate road noise begins - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2002, 05:38   #1 (permalink)

The quest to eliminate road noise begins

As I have posted in other threads I have had my AUII XR6 ute for around weeks now and am a little unhappy with the road noise. After making a couple of posts, seeking advice and searching the archives I have started my Journey to quieten the thing down a bit. <BR />Just to clarify a little, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the vehicle. It's probably more a case of not knowing what to expect. Last two cars were Mitsubishi's and very quiet. <BR />OK,so I decided on using a brush on Bitumen based deadner on the underside and something like Dynamat or Brown Bread inside underneath the carpet. I also purchased a sound level meter from Tandy so I could measure before and after to see real, if any, gains. <BR />I spent some time reading up on Dynamat and like products on the web, most of these are advertisied as some type of self adhesive bitumen with a layer of aluminium. Snooping around work on the weekend (Bunnings) I found a product called flashing tape which is also a self adhesive bitumen with an aluminium layer only it comes in rolls rather than sheets and is around 1/6th the price. I figure two layers of this stuff had got to come pretty close to as good as the others and at $200 versus around $800 I worked out for the other it's worth a try. If this stuff works and anyone else is interested I think I may be able to get it cheaper if I do a bulk buy, will update on that later.<BR /> For those who like figures before measurements of in cabin noise were: <BR /> 60 km/h = 64db<BR /> 80 km/h = 68db <BR /> 100 km/h = 72bd <BR /> I applied the underbody stuff yesterday and today measured a 3db improvement at 60k's and a 4 db improvement at 80ks <BR /> Next weekend I will be doing another coat of underbody deadner and the interior treatment, will post results when done. All up cost should be around $250 and if I get an overall improvement of 8db or more I will be stoked!
motho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2002, 06:15   #2 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Hiya motho,

Sounds like a fairly motivated project - my hat is off to you kind sir ;-) Seriously though, is the stuff from Bunnings called 'Flashtac' by any chance ? I've heard mixed views on the stuff if it is, but I too am in the 'too many rattles' department, so I would be very interested to see how you go with all this. Let me know mate !

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-23-2002, 06:36   #3 (permalink)

Yep, flashtac is the sutff, looks to me like it will do the job. I plan to use two layers to compensate for the fact that it may not be quite as good as the pro stuff. It's pretty dense which I guess is the main factor for sound damping. I also asked a couple of plumbers at work and they reckon it will be fine, they use it to deaden the sound on sinks, so the running water won't make as much noise. <BR /> Let's face it, for a couple of hundred bucks it's worth a try when compared to the outlay for the "real" stuff, surely it will at least do something:)

"I'f these crappy speakers are part of a "premium" sound system I'd hate to see the cheap one's!"
Old 07-24-2002, 00:10   #4 (permalink)

8 DB is really good drop! good work.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 00:36   #5 (permalink)

don't have the full 8db yet, just 3db so far from the one coat of underbody deadner. Going to go a second coat and then some interior treatment and I'm hoping for 8db overall

"I'f these crappy speakers are part of a "premium" sound system I'd hate to see the cheap one's!"
Old 07-24-2002, 03:40   #6 (permalink)
CRAZY TYPHOON DRIVER

There is one problem with the utes and that is the 2 vents on the back wall of the ute i spoke to one of the engineers at ford and he told me to the following.
(they are there so the windows do not pop out when you shut the doors )
1 take the covers of the vents
buy some foam that breaths and is thick and put into the vents.
it should drop road noise down because most of the noise comes from the vents,
i have not did it to my ute yet i am waiting to get it back from ford i should get it done in the next month or so

Chasing Minge in Power
300 Rear Wheel KW and 750 NM Torque
APS Upgraded Typhoon
250 PURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:49   #7 (permalink)

I assume the sedan has vents also, where are they located?

here is another post of interest. http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ighlight=noise
Old 07-24-2002, 03:53   #8 (permalink)
CRAZY TYPHOON DRIVER

eek Good Question

Sorry i do not know about sedans .

Chasing Minge in Power
APS Upgraded Typhoon
Old 07-24-2002, 04:38   #9 (permalink)

250 PURSUIT, that's a good bit of info, my dealer did recommend a similar thing. He suggested to cover the vents and make sure to wind down a window before closing the door. I like your idea with the foam better. I have had a quick look at the vents, they seem a little fiddly to get off, but not that hard. Just didn't have time to do when I first looked. I will have aplay with them this weekend as well and report back.

Old 07-24-2002, 04:47   #10 (permalink)
CRAZY TYPHOON DRIVER

Great hope it goes well please let me know how you go
my mate said if you put the tester closeer to the vents to see how much noise you are getting from there good luck

Chasing Minge in Power
APS Upgraded Typhoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech