QUESTION ... Reguarding V8ing a EA Wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2002, 08:59   #1 (permalink)

Question QUESTION ... Reguarding V8ing a EA Wagon

Hello, can anyone please help me ? I have a EA wagon 3.9 litre, automatic and i would like to convert it across to run a 302 V8, with an automatic g/box.

Any information would be helpful, anything like ...

Is it legal in QLD ?
What type of mod's ?
Estimate on cost's ?

... etc ... etc ...

Anything at all reguarding this would be a great help ...

Thank you for any comments / hints ...

Daniel
Esky_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2002, 13:45   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Daniel,

Don't know if it's legal, but you would more than likely need an engineers certificate, since the EA series never had a V8 it.

EB/ED V8, or EF/EL V8? (EEC-4 or 5), cheapest way to make it happen would be to go for the EEC-4, not a lot of body mods required.

You are looking around the $4500, for an engine/g'box conversion. If the people you get this off are any good they will throw in the front cross member.

About $500 for a matching car harness complete down to the smartlock. Then I'd fit the tibbe keys into the locks, about $120.

When you get round to doing it give me a yell, I have a V8 cluster for sale.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 18:27   #3 (permalink)

Ta for the tip.

Im still fairly new in the Ford ranks, ivve only had the EA for like 4 wks. (I use to own a Valiant, its still in the shed, its got some ford parts so i know only a very little)
What does EEC-4 or EEC-5 stand for ? (sorry if i sound stupid)
And i know that in QLD you can only go as many litres in a car as came out of the factory ... So if the larest in any EA was the 250 (4.1 L) so be it ... amything larger is a no no an Mr.Police man would love to get his hands on it.
Things like turbo's or super-chargers are leagel though ... Silly huh ? you sometimes get MORE power outa blowing a 6 then a stock V8 so tell me why you cant V8 the thing.
Anyway, any other hints would be loved mates an maybe with any hope all your hints will help me over the next 6 - 12 mths to help me build my new donk being what ever it is.
Old 12-31-2002, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

EEC4 is Electronic Engine Control version 4 ( I dont even know if they had a version 3, 2 or 1) EEC5 is version 5. Last XF's up till ED used EEC4 and EF onwards use EEC5 as a rule of thumb.
Old 12-31-2002, 18:38   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Here are some previous threads on the topic:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=19228

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ght=conversion

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 18:38   #6 (permalink)

Um , kool now i know what it stands for, but why is it better then my 3.9L single point injection ? Is it the mulit point injection or is it a newer computer with the computer re-mapped ? This is my 1st time i have owned a injected car so ive got to learn all the terms an i would would to learn it detail.
Old 12-31-2002, 18:39   #7 (permalink)

Thanx Jack, ill scope em out now :)
Old 12-31-2002, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Your 3.9 uses a CFI version of EEC4. EEC5 had a faster clock speed and a few other extra things added in, sucgh as knock sensor, the ability to run a dualrunner manifold system etc.
Old 12-31-2002, 18:49   #9 (permalink)

Okay then ... after looking at the replys n other threats along this line .... I'm thinkng i might BEEF UP a 6. off top of my head.

- I'd get a 4.1 ... Does this use different puter from the 3.9 ? (i know i gotta get puter re-mapped if i cam the donk, thats gunna cost)

- MPI FOR SURE (i fairly sure that would use different puter) can jets be increased ?

- Extractors FOR SURE

Any other hits guys ?

TA :)
Old 12-31-2002, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Maybe you should come into our IRC channel? Using a IRC client like mIRC you can login. We are on Austnet Random Server, #eseries channel.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech