Questions...... (lots) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Questions...... (lots)

ok, my car is valve bouncing at 2800! YES 2800 RPM!!!! the motor is ****ed.... anyways.....

ive spoken to our relative who has the windsor ute.... he said as soon as i give him my headlights, i can have hte ute.... 300 for it, with a 2 bbl and std manifold or 600 for it with an eddleblock performer intake and a brand new holley 650 vac... ill thake the manifold and holley.....

whats a rebuild kit worth and how hard will it be to rebuild the motor....

how hard is it to fit in the xe....
leagal requirements for the xe....

how much power you think ill have? 650 holley, eddelblock intake, mild cam (kinda lumpy) auto... with a 2.77 lsd diff...

also should i remove the fan, and replace with thermo's?

and will a 6 cyl radiator be good enough for a while?

if need to, how much to rebore it?

its s 302 windsor....

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Re: Questions...... (lots)

you may need to get an engineers certificate for it to be legal into the XE as they only come out with clevos V8's not windsors. as for fitment it should bolt straight in if you car was V8 already if it wasnt then you will need the base plates out of a V8 XE. you will probably have to run all that pollution crap too. as for performance if it 3 speed Auto with your 2.77 diff you wont be blown away by the power. manual with at least a 2.92 will go alot better. also i dont know if your gearbox or transmission is compatible with the windsor it think they have different bolt pattern but not sure ask a wreckers they should know.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:12   #3 (permalink)

would vicroads really know the diff b/w a windsor and clevo???

ill call them and ask if i need a certificate, if i do, ill just drive with the 6 cyl rego....
im getting a complete car, to do a whole running gear swap apart form the diff, its an xr ute... will the diff center be the same so i can use the 3.5 gears or whatever is in it

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

Old 02-08-2004, 19:51   #4 (permalink)

Not trying to sound like a grandpa... Be Careful. Be involved in an accident and prepare to have the book hurled your way.

And yes, Vicroads do know the difference between a huge Clevo and mini Windsor. Most TOG-ies do too! And I'm tipping all the police force can count 8 spark plugs as apposed to 6.

If you're going to convert, prepare to pay for the checks... simple.
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:01   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

You might be able to pull a swifty. I heard once that its not the block thats assessed its the engine capacity. You may be OK.

If your replacing a 6 with an 8 you will get more power. How much is anyones guess. Don't bother trying to run a 6cyl radiator even with thermos. One hot day and you'll be calling for a tow truck, but thermo fans are excellent and i would reccomend them for sure.

Your diff centre is different to the xr diff but its not impossible to swap (i've heard. PM WBT56 he may be able to assist). I'd say it would be easier to have the coil mounts grafted onto to xr diff instead of the leaf mounts.

As a windsor never came standard in an XE you may have some troubles getting it in there, xr engine mounts perhaps? I'm really not sure.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:29   #6 (permalink)

windsor will fit straight in, xr - xw/xy same... xy - xe same engine mount positions, it will fit,

dad said that its a FORD V8 ford motor, dont matter if its clevo or windsor... a v8 is a v8...

i used to dfrive my old xe with the clevo in it, i never changed the eng number... and ran it unrego for a month before i blew the motor... i got pulled up, and they didnt check it...

the motor is used, and i wanna freshen it up a little, its not a full rebuild... what should i do? drop hte sump, and crank, new bearings and rings? from what i can see on the motor, its not too dirty, the eddelblock is quite new, and the holley is still golden shiny :D... and it had a cam in it not too long ago.... but i dont wanna have to pulll it out in 6 months to rebuild it.... rings and bearings will do the bottom before i install it?.....

also 800 is it a good price? or 600 if i give my headlight lenses...
its a complete going ute... but the rad has been taken out and use elsewhere so i need a new one...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech