Ford Forums banner

rack and pinion into XF

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RAPTOR 
#1 ·
just wondering can rack and pinion from an EA be fitted to a 1986 XF ute i would like the better feel and tighter turning circle

what did the XG falcons have?? did they retain the old drag link style setup or did they have rack and pinion?

#2 ·
XG's kept the recirc ball, i'm pretty sure XH's got racks but they had a full on EF type front end anyway.

I have seen kits to fit Mustang II racks to early Mustangs (essentially same suspension as XF's) but they tended to be a bit pricey.

I suspect it could be done reasonably easily, but it would require an engineering certificate.
Might be worth writing to KB's workshop in Street Machine?

Kieron

#4 ·
howdy im going to have a talk to the engineer who is doing the work on my ute for the clevo, and see what he has to say bout it just thought id post and see if anyone has done it before

ive seen F100's with complete EA front ends! also hotrods (one was a 35 ford another was a 40 chev) but i wouldnt be transfering over the whole front that would probably be a nightmare! just the rack and pinion

i would also consider sourcing from a different manufacturer

#5 ·
Revelation Racing Supplies (Sydney) claim to have a kit to fit R&P to all early style Ford front ends (Falcon X-series, Mustangs etc). They also have a Strut front end kit that basically bolts in and it's not a flimsy strip only jobs but made for the road, it comes with bigger brakes too. Even though it is a strut front end it gets rid of the dodgy angles and 60's design on these cars.

Warning: it's not cheap and no, I haven't done it. I checked it out and had a good chat to the designers at least years Summernats.

Ph. (02) 9907 3755.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.