Which radiator coolant to use? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 04:49   #1 (permalink)

Which radiator coolant to use?

I have been using that red coolant which I think ford dealerships used to use, but recently my car almost overheated and I found the red coolant had turned into a white foam.. I have heard that this red stuff corrodes gaskets, is this true? Could someone reccomend a type of coolant to use for my EL ? Thanks
rickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2003, 05:13   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

I reckon you should use only genuine motorcraft coolant in EA-ED (blue) and then EF-EL (green) but actually looks pink.

The coolant will change colour if and when when it's overheated.
I know with the blue stuff, it puts a coating over all the internals where the coolant flows, to protect from corrosion.

The thermostat housing is designed to corrode (weaker alloy) so the head wont corrode as quick. As far as coolant corroding gaskets..... it shouldnt, the only thing you will see is the pink dye coming out through the hoses, thats why most of the ef/el's you see seem to have pink writing on the hoses.

Fords sell two types of the EF/EL coolant, beware of which one you buy, the cheaper of the two is weaker, spend the extra $.

In my EB, i double the dose - 2 bottles of the blue and the rest distilled water. NEVER use tap water.
Old 03-25-2003, 22:34   #3 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

Well I recommend that you only use the Ford green coolant or Rechochem coolant (premix or concenrate, they make the coolant for Ford, Holden, Toyota Bla bla bla). The red coolant that Ford used was a mistake and a damn joke, it was piss weak. The blue stuff is not too much better, and is better suited older cars, even older than EA's!

It's worth the money you spend on this stuff green Ford stuff. I think the part number is R31/32 or R33 or something like that.

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 13:33   #4 (permalink)

If you use a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix, that will up the boiling point of the coolant by a few degrees. Check your radiator cap too.

http://www.lathingstodo.com/AvenValk...antifreeze.htm
Old 03-26-2003, 14:59   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Hmm.. reckon I should flush out the Tectaloy 30+ in my '91 EA and replace it with something actually worth using? Mum had a great idea too go buy some cheap shit while I cleaned out the radiator.. It's so high quality it says "For pre-1978 cars only"
Old 03-26-2003, 17:17   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

You have to be careful, there were tests done and found that some 'cheaper' additives are only colour dye....

I'd like to know what the best is as I want it. :-D
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 17:35   #7 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Those cheapo ones also arent recommended for alloy heads..hence the "pre-1978"

Although as somebody else pointed out...some are nothing more than coloured water!

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 18:57   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 9psi EB
I reckon you should use only genuine motorcraft coolant in EA-ED (blue) and then EF-EL (green) but actually looks pink.

The coolant will change colour if and when when it's overheated.

green but looks pink? change colour? no offence but it comes pink in the bottle. if its green it comes green.

ok basically there are 3 different coolants for falcons;

R13C 500ml blue as used in EA-ED

R150 1L red/pink used in EF-EL (i would recommend not to use this if you have it flush it out properly and use R133)

R132/R133 1L/5L green use in EF onwards

be carefull with the ratio of coolant with the R133/R132 too higher concentrate will cause problems. use about 33% in 6cyl and 50% in V8s. use about two bottles with the blue and 1 bottle if you use red.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:36   #9 (permalink)

Tectalloy 90+ was recomended to me.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 03:35   #10 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

Independant test by Choice (and MTA or perhaps RAA) said the GMH factory coolant was the best. About 5 radiator guys told me the same thing when I was having some heating probs in my ute.

I now use 25% GMH coolant and demin water after a demin flush or three was done. The way I look at it, if the HNxxxx part number is the best then thats what I'll use.
(Its actually made by Orica/ICI)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech