radiator flush - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2003, 23:56   #1 (permalink)
andrewh66

Question radiator flush

when you fill it back up do you have to bleed air out of the cooling sys????
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 01:08   #2 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

yep.......on the e series u can take a little plug out near the coolant temp sens. (highest point) and the air will come out.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:46   #3 (permalink)
andrewh66

anyone know about the au3????
Old 05-04-2003, 06:52   #4 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

No bleeding on AU3 AFAIK. My XR8 has no bleed plug anywhere that I've seen. Procedure according to workshop manual is as follows:

*Fill with coolant up to MIN mark on tank.
*Put cap on, start car and run at 2000rpm for 10 mins - This is to make sure thermostat is fully open and **To ensure air is automatically purged from the system** (air automatically purges back to expansion tankj through the small (8mm?) hose which goes from top R/H radiator tank back to resevoir - and through the other small hose too I figure but the manual doesn't say so.) I kinda figured 1500rpm for 5 min and/or intermittantly until full operating temperature is reached would be ok though (?). BTW I think you can tell thermostat is fully open when fluid starts flowing back into the resevoir through the little hose which comes from the top radiator hose (or thermostat housing on I6 I think). Oh - and heater should be on (or climate control to 32 deg. for this step of course).
*Once car has cooled again, top up level to MAX mark.

(Manual says "This procedure must be followed to ensure correct system performance."
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

i use the hose that goes to the thermostat hosing on my ef
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 19:47   #6 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

sorry to hijack your thread andrew but i have to do a radiator flush myself on my xr the service manual says replace radiator hoses. Can anyone tell me if this is just general requirement or only if they are damaged in any way? also any special requirements as to coolant additive? any help appreciated....

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

only if they are bulging more than norm or are worn. cant hurt tho. it pays to get the radiator removed and side tanks taken off and cleaned once in a while too. i use tec 90 coolant
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 20:07   #8 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

so perhaps go to a radiator pofessional and get them to do it perhaps?

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:36   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

You should also have the heater on so the heater core is open and get all of the shit out. WHen the engiens running I know if the thermostat is opened up when you squeeze the top radiator hose and the coolant bubbles in the resivior.

Kooky, I wouldn't bother replacing radiator hoses unless they are warped and sit on loosly after they are clamped back up and you seem to lose coolant.

If you are chaning coolan on an E-series car or AU1 I think from that pink shit to RI-34 (proper Ford stuff) then it's best to flush the system. After I changed my cooland to the Green Ford stuff I got a low coolant light flash on a dash. Due to the different inhibitors the sensor in the header tank wasnt working properly. I took it out and gave it a clean out and put a new Oring as the other one was stuffed and how its all good.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:02   #10 (permalink)
andrewh66

thanks steve that what i did warmed her up heater on revd it for 5 mins or so at 1500 2000 and whached all the air going back to tank drove it that night and toped her up in the morning

ps my last car the skyline had a few bleed plugs and long list of thing to do to bleed it thanks
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech