RAM air intake - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 01:28   #1 (permalink)

RAM air intake

Can anyone help/advise me how to go about setting my car up with ram air?
This is what i was thinking: using my 14" air cleaner, block off the element or remove the elemnet(using flat steel to space the top and bottom plates), fit a complete 10" air cleaner inside my makeshift 'collector box'.
cut a 12" circle in the top plate of the 14" lid, fit a high rubber (that seals up when my bonnet is closed and fits around my hood scoop.)

Will this work (hole openings on hood scoop is 128 cubic cm.)
If not i was also thinking of running a 3" pipe to the firewall sothat i can also get air from the vents below my windscreen.

any help or opinions will be appriciated.
SAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 19:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: RAM air intake

I guess this is what your trying to do.
Sand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 23:26   #3 (permalink)

Ram Air For Your XB XC Falcon
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:30   #4 (permalink)

yes you guys are right but do you think my hood scoop is big enough?

Also if it not then is it better to run a ram pipe from the front bottom (behind/peeping below the bumber facing the road at 45 deg angle or from the fan vents below the windscreen?
SAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 18:25   #5 (permalink)

If you fix up your aircleaner like the ones in the photos and seal it to the hood, it wont take a very big hole to get the desired amount of fresh air in the engine. Just make sure you provide an outlet for the water so it does not fill up your aircleaner tub. If the hoodscoop that is on it now is functional, I wouldnt bother with anymore modifications. Ram air really doesnt do much. Running a tube to your vents would work as well, but keep water in mind there too. Most engines are set up to breath from the inner fender or just behind the grille. Not out in the open where it can suck up bugs,trash and water. Although you will find a few leaves and crap around the aircleaner. Cooler air is all your looking for. If you ran a tube right over to the fender and stuck it through it would work as well as anything. Your hood scoop now is doing a lot more than you think. Its forcing cooler air down across the engine as you drive along. That means that your carb is pulling in cooler air than it would without any hood scoop. My advice/opinion...dont worry about all this. Buy a K&N airfilter and a nice aircleaner cover and rest knowing your car is in good hands.
Sand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 22:45   #6 (permalink)

Have you thought about fitting a shaker air scoop, they are available quite cheaply, give the engine cool air (and was refered to as ram air on Mustangs) and I think they look very nice on the early Fairlane.
ZH 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:28   #7 (permalink)

Hi guys thanks, Sand1, acually i got a edelbroch pro-flo 1000 series air cleaner on its way to me now from the states, a mate told me that it would work well in my application(carter thermoquad) as they suck air from the top too and are very cheap! think what i will do is fit a 4" rubber to my hood around the scoop, sothat when the bonnet is closed the rubber sits around the air cleaner??? (most of the air that will be coming into the carb will be from the scoop) What do you think?

ZH1, i would love to fit a shaker but they are VERY expencive Here in South Africa. Will concider it if you could please direct me to a place in Aus where i can get one ( Got family in Melbourne so getting it to me is no problem)

p.s. the shaker costs 1000 aus dollars here in south africa
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56   #8 (permalink)

G'day SAfairlane,

I live in Adeliade, so am not totally familiar with what shops are in Melbourne but I do know of a shop called "GT Performance" they sell fibreglass reproduction shakers for around $250 - $300 Aus. I haven't bought anything from them, so I don't know what they are like. There is another shop called "Early Bird Spares" who I have bought from and they are very good. Both of these shops are in the phone book, so your family should be able to find them easily enough. There are also numerous Mustang shops in Melbourne as well.

If there is anyone from Melbourne reading this, hopefully, they would be more help to you.

Good luck, Trev.
ZH 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:38   #9 (permalink)

Thanks ZH1
Will give it a shot
Old 03-15-2007, 04:58   #10 (permalink)

Rare Spares...

www.rarespares.net.au

Click, Browse/Buy. Then... Ford, Falcon XW-XY then bonnet componants. You would also need the brace kit. $420 AU for the shaker.....oh your export... $380.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech