really bad noise.....HELP!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2002, 09:21   #1 (permalink)
ben

really bad noise.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Well i dont know how long its been like this because ive been driving really easily last month because of traffic infringements.

anyway taking off from the lights i wanted to get in front of an unusually light and powerful truck, as soon as i put my foot down i heard an extremely loud terrible metal bending/screeching/knocking noise.

At first i thought suspension, but i foot my foot on the break and accelerator and without the car even moving, it made the loudest terrible noise.

I cant afford it to be the engine and cant imagine why it would be, but it cant be the exhaust because this noise vibrates through the throttle, its coming from the right rear of the engine.........

i dont want this to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, anyone got ANY IDEA ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

It sounds like a creeking knocking noise under load at take off for a second or so, maybe about 10 knocks at increasing speed before it disappears ?

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2002, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
gone

1st of all check the engine mounts!

and make sure all leads are on ok, try taking spark plugs out and doing a visual
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
ben

sd

i took it to the mechanic, and he said my front uni joint is absolutely ****ed and i shouldnt drive it anymore, and this is where the sound is coming from.

could this be right ?.....because when i take off under acceleration it doesnt sound like a tapping uni joint (like when he moved it around under the car) it sounds like a crunching metal knock.

ben
Old 07-20-2002, 08:00   #4 (permalink)

id say thats the problem. they are pretty easy to change. just need a spanner and a large hammer. they are pretty cheap too and take around half hour to change.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 10:38   #5 (permalink)
ben

can they be changed with a hammer, spanner, and the car on ramps ?

because for a $26 part i dont wanna pay $45 labour if i dont have to

could anyone tell me how to go about removing the one thats on there ?.....id say its pretty tight.

ben
Old 07-21-2002, 02:51   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

They are an easy job. See http://home.earthlink.net/~goodspeeds/UJOINTS.HTM and
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click...1M215&set_id=4

for some ideas but put the money you are going to save into a workshop manual and that will give you advice more specific to your car.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Yer ben it's a pretty easy job to do mate. I doub't you will have any problems. I've gone through 3 rear sets of uni's on mine and they sure do make some scary noises when there stuffed... but there easy to change.

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2002, 07:36   #8 (permalink)
ben

turns out i couldnt be bothered waiting till tuesday to take it into the shop, nor did i want to pay $45 labour for it. so i proceeded to remove my tailshaft no drama's, and belt the living **** out of the old bearing cups to get them out **** they are tight and put the new one in.

must admit took me about 3 hours i think but that includes 2 trips to marlows because the standard 88 falcon 3sp one was the wrong size coz i have a limited slip diff. and i had no instructions.

hopefully those circlips are properly in, they were abit hard to see.

thanks for your help guys.

ben
Old 07-22-2002, 06:31   #9 (permalink)

well if they aren't in properly that $45 for the mechanic will start to look pretty cheap!!!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech