Really stupid problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 00:04   #1 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

frown Really stupid problem

Ok.. this is probably the most basic question ever asked on these forums but I dunno shit about car engines etc..

Here's the problem:

Battery died.. was a hell-old battery so decided to replace it anyway.

Take out old battery, put in new battery (simple)

Start car.. starts easier than it ever has before.. pull out of garage.. car conks out. Start car.. give it some gas.. take foot of pedal.. car conks out.

It can't idle AT ALL.. doesnt even nearly idle.. just splutters and stalls.

I have NO idea what I could've done wrong.. all I did was change the battery!

Help :(

Only thing I can think of is something to do with the old alarm that the previous owner had, but that has been disabled completely. Maybe changing batteries made some kinda fuel cut kick in? but then it wouldnt start at all right? The alarm box is still in the engine bay and wired up, but he said I wouldnt need to worry about it and it wouldn't effect anything.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2004, 00:09   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: Really stupid problem

can you rev the car and hold the rpm without it cutting out?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 00:14   #3 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

When you change batteries the computer loses memory, causing it to have all sorts of issues trying to idle etc. You need to disconnect your battery again for around 10/15 mins, reconnect it, turn all accessories off, start the car. Dont touch the throttle, just let it hunt for its idle. It should sort itself out within 10 or so mins. Then take it for a drive, give it curry, baby it, every kind of driving style. Run the aircon too.

Im pretty sure thats how most people reset their computer, im usually too impatient to do it that way so i take it to my local Ford Dealer who for 5 bucks reset my computer and check base timing for me

if its your alarm, well, I have no idea lol.

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 00:14   #4 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

The first thing that popped into my mind is the fact that your ECU has reset (it forgets its settings and "relearns" them) but usually that requires an extended period of time without voltage. Nevertheless I'd not rule this out. I'm assuming that the car just stalls straight away or does it go for some number of minutes first? Have you checked the idle speed? Has it slowed since the new battery? Have you cleaned your filter, ISC, throttle body etc recently? Of course this is all not directly related to the new battery but it'd be good to eliminate these anyway. Spark plugs, leads etc are also worth a check if youve not attended to these in some time.

The other thing I would try is disconnecting the battery for 24hrs or so and then taking her for a drive after re-connecting. This will guarantee a reset ECU.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:22   #5 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Ya sounds like a reset ECU to me. Do what sikEA said.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:20   #6 (permalink)

same thing happened to me and for some stupid reason it was the MAP sensor.some how someway they stuff up due to the battery being changed
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 18:52   #7 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Are the connectors OK on the battery, if they look doubtful and could be that they are loosing connection with the battery.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 21:58   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

It's the ECU in relearn mode as others have mentioned, best way is to just drive it and it will learn back, i've experienced that it could take about 30-40km or more worth driving before it gets back to the way it was. Nothing to worry bout though.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 23:13   #9 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

It could well be the ECU like you gus are saying.. but I can't start it and let it sit and learn because it doesn't sit.. you start it, it just conks out instantly. The ONLY way to keep it running is to keep your foot on the accelerator.

As for any other parts of the engine as far as leads, filters, etc.. the car was running absolutely perfectly until a few days ago when the battery died, and it was the next morning that I put the new battery in.

Any advice on what to do if it's the ECU? or what else it could be?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-01-2004, 23:32   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenithx
It could well be the ECU like you gus are saying.. but I can't start it and let it sit and learn because it doesn't sit.. you start it, it just conks out instantly. The ONLY way to keep it running is to keep your foot on the accelerator.

As for any other parts of the engine as far as leads, filters, etc.. the car was running absolutely perfectly until a few days ago when the battery died, and it was the next morning that I put the new battery in.

Any advice on what to do if it's the ECU? or what else it could be?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don't Worry Cenithx.
My EF has done this twice (don't get batteries from Super Cheap). My car wouldn't start for nearly 10 secs of starter motor action.

Wouldn't idle for a few days, still completely drivable.

It will sort it self out... Give it shit loads... Its a ford.

Cheers, Case.
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech