rear disk pad change

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Black S 
#1 ·
ED falcon(XR6)rear disk pad change

On an 1994 ford falcon ED (XR6 station wagon) Arnt rear calipers

bastards to screw back in if you havent got the correct reset tool

What do you use??????

I used multi grips and my hands are friggin sore now and its

damages the piston/dust boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
you have to push in as well as turn, ive been told by a ford apprentice that if you undo the nut on the back of the caliper (for the handbrake arm) and remove it, there is a nut or bolt there that you can turn which winds the piston in, (possibly if you apply pressure from the pad side)

this was after i did the pads on my old EB, i had to remove them from the car, mount them in a vice, stand on the bench and push and turn with some massive multigrips... pads on my new baby are due soon im dreading the thought... if you replace them with any measure of success please tell me how!

#8 ·
if youre trying to do what i think you are, then i made a tool myself to do it out of a piece of steel pipe. Cant remember the size of the pipe, but you get a piece about 6 inches long and cut two small slits in from one end about 4mm (approx.) apart. Then bend the bit between the slits outwards to create a tag type bit at rightangles to the pipe. Then simply weld a bit of rod across the top to make a handle and bobs your uncle.

Place the end with the tab onto the piston and you will see there is a spot that the tag slots into. Then you can turn and push easily without the piston binding up. I will try and take a photo of the tool sometime so you see what i mean...its hard to explain, but have a look at the piston and you will prob understand what im trying to say

cheers, dave

#10 ·
Re: ED falcon(XR6)rear disk pad change

edxr6wgn said:
What do you use??????

I used multi grips and my hands are friggin sore now and its

damages the piston/dust boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I simply use a big bastard screwdriver, simply remove pads, shove blade of screwdriver down that gap between the outer wall and the inner bit of the piston and rotate in the appropriate direction, done it a few times like this now - no Falcon worries :bs2:

PS - don't remove that rear nut holding the shaft in, you can easily put the handbrake mechanism out of wack or accidently pop the piston out.

Kieron

#11 ·
Re: Re: ED falcon(XR6)rear disk pad change

Kieron said:

I simply use a big bastard screwdriver, simply remove pads, shove blade of screwdriver down that gap between the outer wall and the inner bit of the piston and rotate in the appropriate direction, done it a few times like this now - no Falcon worries :bs2: Kieron
Same here. A set of multi-grips or adjustable spanner on the BBS (square) shaft makes it easier to turn whilst also pushing.:tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.