rear vision mirror is off!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2002, 20:50   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

rear vision mirror is off!!!!

i was driving with my stereo at full violume.. something i dont do very often for obvious reasons.
along i went and something hit me on my sholder as i turned a corner. looked down to my suprise my farken rear vision mirror had rattle off!! not happy jan.
anyways there is abig car cruise this fri night and i need it on by then.... anyone know how to stick these buggers back up there... and if its an easy job....
thakns guys
XCURSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2002, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

yep, you can get mirror glue from practically any parts shop. Take 5 mins to put back on and 24 hours to set properly. Make sure you clean it all up properly first and apply the primer to both the glass and the mirror unlike what the instructions say.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 21:04   #3 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

AHAHAHAHHAH SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME...

on chapel st... the same nite i got the 500 dollar fine for my system by the fregen Stonnington city council. DAMNIT

Dunno what car you drive.. but my one (on my EF) is held there by a window-mounted piece. The mirror kinda slides in from above. I had to put some double sided tape and tighten the screw (allen key) so it wouldnt fall off again.

ChuBBz
Old 06-26-2002, 21:05   #4 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I personally think the windscreen mounted mirror is the most ridiculous idea. However, I will humbly back down if someone can give me a good reason why they did it.
Old 06-26-2002, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Im assuming you own an XC???

i might come to that cruise.. i've never been to one and im very curious to see what they are like. A bombardment of RICE-boxes im guessing.
Old 06-27-2002, 00:31   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

I had the rear vision mirror problem for years. I used every glue I could find, and even had the professionals stick it on 3 times.. no luck. The only thing that made it stick for a while (Falls every few months) is that Araldite Epoxy resin stuff.

Give the screen (and the steel piece) a good clean with a blade, then wipe with metho or prep wash, and glue away.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:18   #7 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

loctite makes this superglue that I used when it happened to me it worked for ages...then ironically when i wrote my car off it fell down landing at my feet!!!!

my mate also used it to stick door handle covers to his bmw (thats quality for you!!) and there still there after about 6 months.

the pack says its 'cynoacrylate ester' if that means anything to anyone.....
Cost about $4 and came in a 15ml tube. sets really really fast so if you get it on your fingers you'll be shaking peoples hand with this white plastic stuff on ya finger
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:27   #8 (permalink)

If you have got an XC ,you can ditch the screen mount mirror and get one from an early XA that replaces the sunvisor bracket and attaches the mirror to it and screws to the roof.Never fall off again.If you go with re-gluing ,get the proper kit as stated above...
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:12   #9 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

Two words, Windscreens O'Brien.
Never had one fall off that they've stuck on yet!!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:40   #10 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:
personally think the windscreen mounted mirror is the most ridiculous idea. However, I will humbly back down if someone can give me a good reason why they did it.
I think it's a safety feature; no use having a safety windscreen if you hit your head on a solid mirror mount instead.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech