Removing AU front door trims - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2003, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Removing AU front door trims

I need to remove the front passenger door trim on my AUII XR6.

I'm after access to the central locking mechanism to wire in a monitor that detects when the central locking is activated.

Is it just a simple matter of undoing the one screw on the rear edge of the door and pulling off the trim?

Or is it more involved?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2003, 15:24   #2 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Hi Jamie,

I had to take off the trims in my old man's AU II Futura when I installed his chrome door handles. I had to unscrew the couple of screws on the outer edges, but you also need to pull the electric window facia control unit up as well - it's fairly easy and clips in place (clip at closest to front of car). Once you carefully pry the unit up, you can get into the arm rest bit inside and undo the bolt(s) to losen the trim from the door. Sorry, I can't be more helpful - it was a while since I put in those door handles !

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-06-2003, 15:39   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Jamie,

Unfortunately it's alittle more involved but not that hard i've pulled mine apart a few times.

I've tried to make steps here to make it easier for you:

1. Where the mirror is theres a plastic surround, prise it off usually with fingers it's enough to get it off.

2. The door handle surround, again prise it off with fingers and then remove it by sliding it out of the door handle. This will expose a bolt (10mm). Best way to undo it use a 10mm socket with an extention bar.

3. Just below the mirror assembly on the door trim you will a black plug use a flat head screw driver to prise it off from the door trim this will expose another 10mm bolt same as the one on the door trim. Undo this bolt with the 100mm socket and extention bar.

4. There are more screws to undo down below where the map pocket sits theres two black plastic caps that you have to take off using a small flat head screw driver before you can see the screws.

5. This involved in prising the power window switch's (prise on the arm pad end) the panel will comeout unclip the power supply to the switchs to free the switch and you will see a screw under neath that secures the door trim to the door. Unscrew this.

6. After all this is done you pretty much unclip the trim and lift the trim upwards away from the door.

Hope this helps.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 21:40   #4 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Ahhh it's all coming back to me now ! Thanks for the specifics XR_Strider =]

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-07-2003, 00:54   #5 (permalink)

Have you got a scanner, i can scan the information on how to pull the door skin off out of Gregories workshop manual.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 00:57   #6 (permalink)

SORRY i meant Email address not scanner
Have you got an email address, i can scan the information on how to pull the door skin off out of Gregories workshop manual.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:33   #7 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Thanks for the replies,

I'll print off Gary's step by step instructions and try them.

I'll give it a go tomorrow. I only had a very quick look this morning, that's why I thought it may have only been the one screw.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:30   #8 (permalink)

No worries mate, good luck and DONT BREAK ANY THING!!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:36   #9 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

LOL! Believe XR6MAN, I wouldn't be game enough!

My wife regards the XR6 as her car, I'd never hear the end of it if I broke something!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:43   #10 (permalink)

mmm are you allowed to drive it, or is it just hers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech