Repairing air con compressor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2003, 18:00   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Repairing air con compressor

My aircon compressor in the DA is getting noisy. It starts screeching after about 2-3 mins after switching it on. It's not the belt as I've just changed it and its nice and tight. Otherwise the operation of the compressor doesn't seem affected.

How much would it cost to either repair it or even get a new or reconditioned compressor?

Cheers all

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 18:34   #2 (permalink)

are you sure the belt is tight as they can loosen very quickly after a new belt is fitted!
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 19:36   #3 (permalink)

My compressor in the ea was noisey all the time and it was the bearing for the pulley that was the culprit. Replaced that and haven't had a noise problem with it since. Does it sound like a noisey bearing? Mine was noisey for startup of the car to switch off. As long as the motor ran, i had the noise.
Also, when it screeches, does the compressor stop? It could be that it's starting to seize....
Good luck is all the advice i can give you now!
Old 01-27-2003, 20:00   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I'm positive the belt is tight. It only makes the sound when the compressor is switched on. The compressor doesn't stop, it just makes the noise. I was thinking it may be the clutch bearing or whatever it is because as I said it only makes the noise when it is switched on.

Thanks for the help guys

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 21:43   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Ahh I have a V8 compressor, would it fit ??..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:18   #6 (permalink)

make sure you are getting enough airflow through your condenser , check engine clutch fan , or for dirt between condenser and radiator.
when it starts making that noise, spray some water on the condenser with a hose and see if the noise stops.if it doesn't
take your belt off and check your bearings. compressor and idler
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech