Replace std bolts with polished s/steel hex key bolts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

Replace std bolts with polished s/steel hex key bolts

I've noticed a number of posts on this forum where people want to add some special touches to their cars, with the key criteria being 1) must be different, 2) must not be too expensive, and 3) must be able to do it myself over the weekend.

I recently had the idea for packaging bolt sets for Falcons (and possibly other models if the interest is there) after replacing just about every bolt in my XC Falcon with Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Key bolts (looks terrific, I'm hoping to get some close up pictures, but to give you an idea check out my post 'My Xc Falcon' in the Showroom). I thought about buying chromed bolts but they are expensive, chip easily and therefore are prone to rusting and / or pitting, and require polishing / cleaning to ensure they look their best. I instead opted for the stainless steel button head hex key bolts, and polished them so that they looked schmicko. Bonus is you I don't need to celan them to keep them looking good, and I noticed not many cars have added this kind of detail (generally they opt for the crappy looking chrome ones).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else would be keen to replace their standard painted / zinc coated bolts with a set of these stainless bolts. The bolts will be polished and look like the attached picture.

I currently have worked out what bolts are required to make kits for all model Falcons from XA through to AU. I'll attach another post with the kits I have planned, and the costs for each kit.

Please contact me if you are interested in a kit.

Regards

"You wouldn't be dead for quids!"
mikenicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2002, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

Stainless Steel Hex Key Bolt Kits

As promised here are the proposed kits.

Ford Falcon

AU Series (State whether 6 or 8, and whether XR or not)

Engine Bay Dress-Up - $45
Doors and Hinges - $45
Boot - $7
Complete Kit (All of the above) - $90 (save $7)

EA - EL Series (state whether EA - ED, or EF - EL)

Engine Bay Dress-Up - $40
Doors and Hinges - $40
Complete Kit - $75 (save $5)

XD - XF Series (State whether Xd, or XE - XF)

XD
Engine Bay Dress-Up - $45
Boot Hinges - $10
Complete Kit - $50 (save $5)

XE - XF
Engine Bay Dress-Up - $40
Boot Hinges - $10
Complete Kit - $45 (save $5)

XA - XC Series (State whether sedan or coupe)

Sedan
Engine Bay Dress-Up - $80
Doors and Hinges - $100
Boot Hinges - $10
Complete Kit - $175 (save $15)

Coupe
Engine Bay Dress-Up - $80
Doors and Hinges - $55
Boot Hinges - $10
Cpmplete Kit - $135 (save $10)

Please compare my prices. As an example a set of chromed Cleveland Rocker Cover bolts from a well known chrome company costs $32 through a certain older spares supplying retailer (consider that there are only 16 very small bolts in this kit).

As an example of what a kit contains, the AU Engine Bay Dress-Up kit contains:
6 x guard bolts
2 x headlight bolts
2 x fusebox bolts
2 x radiator overflow bottle bolts
2 x airbox bolts (6 cyl includes 3 bolts for inlet pipe)
2 x grille bolts (4 bolts for XRs)
2 x top radiator mount bolts
4 x bonnet hinge to bonnet bolts
2 x bonnet realease catch bolts

total 24 bolts (plus 3 for 6 cyl, and 2 for XR)

Old 01-16-2002, 20:51   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

mikenicko,
These packs sound pretty good. Iv'e got a few questions about these bolts, in the pack does it come with a sheet to say what bolt is for what? I'm sortof interested in the EF kit for the engine bay as i am abit of a "keep engine bay clean" kinda guy.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

EF_Falcon_Guy,

I'm planning to put a sheet in the kits, but really there are only two bolt sizes in say the EF engine bay kit. What I would do is indicate on the sheet what the bolts replace (as detailed in my AU example in the above post). I would indicate bolt length / size etc so you can pick them out. I'll also indicate what allen key sizes are required so you only have to buy the respective ones if you don't have a set. If fitting door bolts though I would suggest buying / borrowing a set of allen key sockets (to use with your socket set) to ensure they are in tight enough.

To fit a kit is very simple. Basically need socket set / spanners and the indicated allen keys. Just remove bolts (indicated on sheet) one at a time and replace with stainless bolts one at a time. Shouldn't take more than about half an hour (expect longer if you do the doors, and to get at front hinge bolts you may need to remove guards, depends on how fussy / obsessed you are about the bolts as you can't really see them).

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Old 01-17-2002, 01:50   #5 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Do you know what would be a great idea?

You know those shitty plastic screws in the car.... maybe you could come up with something to get rid of all the shabby plastic and have nice looking chromed bolts instead of plastic screws that look shit.

id buy it

Cheers

Will
Old 01-17-2002, 21:32   #6 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

Plastic Screws

Hey Bigred,

Good idea. I'll have a look at how the plastic screws fit up and hopefully there is something I can do with them.

Will have a look and let you know.

Regards,

Old 01-17-2002, 21:49   #7 (permalink)

Re: Replace std bolts with polished s/steel hex key bolts

Quote:
Originally posted by mikenicko

I recently had the idea for packaging bolt sets for Falcons (and possibly other models if the interest is there) after replacing just about every bolt in my XC Falcon with Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Key bolts (looks terrific,
I think it's already been done mate, check out http://www.hotbitz.com.au/ford.htm

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 22:39   #8 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Yes, but that site only has bolts, etc for XR, XA, XB, etc, etc ,etc

I can't see where the EA - AU bolts are...
Old 01-18-2002, 13:07   #9 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

Checked Hotbitz Pricing

I checked Hotbitz pricing:

Example:

XA-XC Falcon Guard Bolts - $46 (only 10 bolts in this kit)

I do a complete engine bay kit for XA-XC with $28 bolts for $80 (nearly three times the bolts and less than double the price). I also find it quite obscene to charge $13 for 2 bolts for a bonnet catch when I sell exactly the same size bolts for the boot hinge, my price 4 for $10.

Some other prices seemed close (XA-XC stainless bolts for doors for example) but they quote button head on some products and not others which leads me to believe they are stainless cap screws (see attached picture) which are about half the price of button head and I reckon don't look as smooth.

Just something to think about. I note also they only go up to XF Falcon, and don't cover the ever popular EA - AU.

If anyone is still interested in my product please contact me via the forum or PM.

Regards,

Old 01-19-2002, 01:09   #10 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Yeah definately interested.

along with the plastic replacement bolts if possible...i think its just the notion of having your car put together with plastic that annoys me.

let me know when you work it out

Cheers

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech