Ford Forums banner

Replacement XF Auto Shift Knob...Do any others fit??

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Extreme_2020 
#1 ·
Hey Guys..

I dont really like the look of the XF auto shift knob...with its big orange button and all :p

The XE uses a chrome shift knob with a black button, but the actual shaft that the knob sits on is chrome too..and different to the XF one...can i replace the whole shaft?? or are they different?

What about an EA shift knob...will that fit??

Thanks

Extreme

#4 ·
To my knowledge, the EAs (at least the early ones) had the same T-bar as the XFs, except with a silver/grey button. I upgraded mine to a later model EB type, which was a hundred times better. Apparently this T-bar was also used in the early Ford Laser automatics.

#5 ·
thanks for the replies guys..

B&M bit too much at the moment hehe

so to fit a EB or EF one id have to replace the actual t bar as a whole assembly..not just the knob itself?

#8 ·
i cant find the link right away but if you look through hte showroom threads to about august last year there is a thread show us your interior pics i think it was called
in there i have my old shifter on my ute a wooden manual gearknob modded to suit it was really easdy all i did was drilled the hole right through the dhifter lengthened the pushrod on the selector got a bullet shaped bike valve cap put it all together and ahd a really neat looking shifter

#9 ·
the most relable is the xe xf ones the early chrome top ones have the cable down the center pain to adjust easyer with later models t bars turn the handle.

xe xf ones should be the same xd and earler and cortinas should be same to but the hole t bar be easyer to swap .
and the my zl (same as xf)had a wider hole were the t bolts to the floor )

think the saying if its not broken dont fix it comes to mind .

#10 ·
Thanks for the help fellas..

Picked up a EB/ED Shift knob at the wreckers today for $25..

Screwed straight onto the old t bar :)

Much better!!

Extreme

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.