Replacing Fuel Filter - EL fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2002, 05:45   #1 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Replacing Fuel Filter - EL fairmont

Hello.
Could someone point me to the relay that de-activates the fuel pump. Im wanting to remove the fuel filter without getting fuel sprayed all over the place.

Im assuming that removing the fuel relay and then running the engine for a short moment will remove the fuel pressure to allow for the fuel filter to be replaced.
Is this correct?
Thanks again.
AussieFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2002, 07:12   #2 (permalink)
Chromed Member

i find that the easiest way is to remove the black cover ontop of the fuel tank sender unit (in the boot under the carpet) there is about 8 phillips screws and some serios sticky goo holding the cover on.

then with the engine idling unplug the fuel pump at the top of the sender unit (dont take sender unit out...only the black steel cover in the boot) until the engine stops. This will depressurise the efi system.
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 18:58   #3 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

It doesn't spray all that much does it? I think fuel pump relay is either near the battery or airbox.
I have a question though, does cutting the fuel supply when the engine's running stuff up the EFI a bit? Isn't this the reason you aren't meant to run the tank empty?

cheers

james
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 19:34   #4 (permalink)
"Tickford- Own the road"

Guys, dont be silly, playing with electricals and so forth.

Jack the car, stands, safe etc, keep the fuel cap on, open end ring spanner's, undo, you'll get a few dodgy spills (100-200ml), collect the spill with a dirty rag or container, then change.

Be careful not to round the nuts, if you do this, then you'll have trouble.

Always, fill your tank up to FULL level, then drain it, then fill. None of this $5 here, $10 there business. I do 2 tanks of regular unleaded, then every third tank is Caltex Vortex.

Ive always used aftermarket parts on my cars (plugs, air filters, oils, leads, rotor caps + buttons, pads, bulbs etc) but always use the original FORD Fuel filter. Lasts longer.

Good luck.......

5.4 litre VCT V8, SSS AUTO, HERRODS EXHAUST, MERCURY SILVER, BLACK LEATHER/INTERIOR, TINTS, SUNROOF, SAT NAV, FORD SCUFF PLATES, GHIA MATS, PREMIUM SOUND, SLIMLINE WEATHER SHIELDS, BONNET PROTECTOR, TOW BAR, BLAH BLAH.......
tickford5400i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 18:18   #5 (permalink)
Chromed Member

your not meant to runk the car with the tank low on fuel cos it sucks up all the shit in the bottom of the tank, which can block filters and injectors.
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:40   #6 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Appreciate the replies.
I have replaced my fuel filter on the probe and this involved removing the relay with the engine running.
This is the SAFEST method that Im aware of with this car anyway.

I am aware of the the bank of four relays located next the air filter assembly. Could someone point me to the fuel pump relay.
This would be the easiest and cleanest method I think still.
AussieFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:00   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

On E.B's its behind the steel bracket behind battery.
I thought in the manual it says to pull the F/P fuse &
start motor.Just as easy to push the valve or Fuel presure test valve on fuel rail just under front of inlet to relieve press.With rag to catch fuel..Key off!!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 20:57   #8 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

The two times I have replaced a fuel filter, I have just taken the filter off directly the fuel line and put another one in. It doesn't spit much. Never had any problems later either. I still think pulling the relay out is like running the tank dry (except for the gunk that the latter causes) and not good for the car.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 04:10   #9 (permalink)
Hercules

Its the green relay you are looking for which is the fuel pump relay pull it out and all will be ok
Old 09-05-2002, 06:17   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by Tickford6
The two times I have replaced a fuel filter, I have just taken the filter off directly the fuel line and put another one in. It doesn't spit much. Never had any problems later either. I still think pulling the relay out is like running the tank dry (except for the gunk that the latter causes) and not good for the car.
NO it's not it's only relieving the pressure in the line.
Thats what the valve on the fuel rail is for to relieve air from system..
Pulling fuel relay good anti theft device as well..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech