Replacing the fuel pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2003, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
{';'}

Replacing the fuel pump

Hi guys,

My brother's EF has had it. Today it no longer started after the revs dropped when driving it. Found out the problem was the fuel pump.

Just wondering what an average price of a new one and the cost of replacing it (we won't be doing it ourselves because we wouldn't know where to start!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2003, 00:27   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Well I pay $50 for a fuel pump, if you're in Perth call Walliston wreckers in Kalamunda - he'll see ya right.
Installation - no idea, probably 1/2 hours job for a mechanic; it's really not that hard to do yourself though.
Just unscrew the round plate in the boot, vacuum out the dust and that, then disconnect the fuel and power lines. Remove the locking ring (HAMMER NEEDED) and withdraw the fuel pump.
Good luck!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
{';'}

Sounds like a fairly quick procedure, but is it really that simple? We'll be leaving it for the mechanics anyhow as my brother wants his car back on the road ASAP. Still, I'd be interested to know what procedure is taken in removing and replacing a fuel pump.

Also, how often in a car's (E series) life are these usually replaced?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
Old 03-10-2003, 02:58   #4 (permalink)

If you have made the right tool, it only takes a few minutes. Truely! I made up the tool from the gregories book and now I can get at the fuel pump in minutes. If you're gonna do it, make the tool. It saves a lot of heart ache.
sbcarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 15:42   #5 (permalink)
EA Falcon.com Member

It took me an hour to replace my fuel pump in the EB. And I had no prior experience in doing it at all.
You simply unscrew the round plate as mentioned above and get a hammer and a (blunt) screwdriver and firmly but carefully tap the ring seal around until it can be unscrewed by hand. The only problem I had was that there was a hose clamp around the base of the pump which had to be removed before I could losen the ring seal. This was the hard part as it was BLOODY difficult to get at (This hose clamp is meant to be very helpful for making sure the fuel pump seals properly so if you have one make sure it is put back on after the work is done)
After that you simply remove the hoses as outlined above (marking them so you put them back on the right way) and swap the pump then do everything in reverse.
Also make sure you you unscrew the fuel cap to relieve some pressure before you remove the hoses from the pump.

Hope this helps.

PS. I originally bought a fuel pump from a wrecker and it was ratshit. I purchased a new bosch one from Bursons for $200 (He brought it down from $250)

Hope this helps.

3.9 CFI Falcon. King Springs, Monroe GT Shockers. Formula 1 Tinted windows. Pioneer 3350 Head Unit, 12" JL Audio Sub. 6"-9" Pioneer 3 Ways, 4" Clarion 2 Ways, 500watt Schneider Amp, 222watt Sony Xplode Amp. Really shitty 14" Jelly Beans
Clutterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 19:48   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I have replaced the fuel pump in my EA sedan twice in 3 days, as the wrecker gave me the wrong fuel pump. When I returned the wrong one, he gave me a wagon one :S

Anyway, here's what I did :

*Disconnected -ve battery terminal for safety.
*Removed the coverplate.
*Took off the hoses and sender and power plugs.
*Put the tip of a flathead screwdriver against a notch of the ring and hit the end of the screwdriver with a hammer until it started moving, and then until it came off.
*Lifted out the fuel pump very carefully so as not to damage the sender unit.
*Replaced the pump.
*Put the pump and sender unit back in - reversal of the removal procedure.

When I did it in my mum's car it was a little harder. I didn't care if I damaged anything as the car's on straight gas and the fuel system isn't needed.

This is what I did.

*Jammed a screw driver between the ring and the hose clamp and lift the clamp up until it popped out, this rendered the hose clamp un-usable.
*Jammed a screw driver between the sender assembly and the ring and lifted the ring until it came out. This could probably do damage to the thread that the ring goes on to so if you need to use this procedure be careful.
*Lifted out the fuel pump and sender assembly.

Cheers,

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
{';'}

Thanks for all the replies guys. My brother actually got it replaced this morning so we really didn't have a lot of time as he needs his car for work. I think he was charged like $300 - dunno if it was Bosch or what.

But next time it happens (*knock on wood* that it doesn't) I'll give it a crack myself.

Cheers again fellas. At least I (and others) can refer to this post for future reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech