Replacing Timing Chain - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 00:25   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Replacing Timing Chain

Has anyone had the timing chain replaced on their EA?
Just want to get a rough idea of how much it would cost etc

Mines fairly noisy now and I would prefer to replace it before I start doing any performance mods to the engine.

Any experiences welcome....

I am mechanically minded but have been told that replacing the timing chain on the 3.9/4.0 engines is a pain in the ass.

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2002, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

Some vehicles have a joining link in the chains, or at least the new ones sometimes do. If they do you can just break the old chain by prying the side off a link, hooking the new chain to it and feeding it around as someone turns the motor over with a spanner or somethin. Bit tricky but it can be done. Just keep both chains constantly meshed on the top sprocket or you will loose timing and tensioners. After saying all this, how do the tensioners tend to last guys, are they a problem?

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:49   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The plastic tensioner and damper break more often than the chains do and I would be checking them first; take the rocker cover off and investigate with a torch/bright light.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I've used that old trick a couple of times but I was told with the EA engines the bottom dampers were a pain in the ass and you are better off pulling it apart.

Well I am going to get a few quotes from my dads mates and if its feasable I will just book it in....if its far too expensive I will have a crack at it.
Going by MustangX's previous post it sounds like it wouldnt be that hard other than the bottom damper.
Cheers guys

Lowered EF Futura
Old 10-20-2002, 02:37   #5 (permalink)
donuts2001

I can guarantee you a 70% chance your bottom dampner is broken off, and a 70% chance your side one is broken.

The bottom ones break off very easily and usually fall into your sump, so far 2 out of 3 EA motors I have seen had their bottom dampner broken, and 2 out of 2 EA motors i have seen with their timing covers off had the side ones broken(side one isn't so bad as it can't move anywhere, so still puts some pressure on the chain, the bottom one's fall into the sump)

I wonder how long these dampners actually last before they break as they are made out of a flimsy plastic material. You might want to get yours replaced while you do the chain as they are cheap to buy, but then again they'll probably end up breaking again in a few months.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
-

i got my chain, tensioners and guides replaced at the local mechanic. cost me $400. after hearing all the stories of how difficult it would be i left it well alone, didnt want to screw with that sort of thing... :)

the engine had 340,000KM on it at this point...
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 18:27   #7 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

bummer

mines at 320000km sounds like i might need to have a look at mine soon. What noises are evident when the guides break, are there any noises in particular?

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 02:33   #8 (permalink)

Gidday,
My 2 cents worth.
I replaced my timing chain and guides last week when I put the new head, cam, and water pump in.
Timing chain kit with guides, chain and gaskets was $75.
BUT, if you want to replace the bottom guide you have to drop the sump, it will not go on without doing this, boy did we try! My motor did not have a bottom guide in it, and neither did the motor I bought last week to get the head off. I spoke to lots of people about this and was told it seems a lot of mechanics don't put the bottom guide in. Now this is where it gets a little confusing I guess. The timing cover will not come off unless either you take the head off or the sump off. As I had the head off it was relatively easy to take the timing cover off. As I had to go to Brisbane on the week end and time was a bit short, I elected not to take the sump off and to leave the bottom guide out, I'll put it in the new motor I'm building up. Anyway, it's as quiet as, and I can't believe the difference. I guess the new head and XR6 cam helped.
If you do it yourself just make really sure you line up the timing marks before you take anything off.
Cheers
Ross
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 16:05   #9 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I've just had a quick read of the falcon repair manual and I think I will attack it myself.
Says the best way is to lower the sump anyway and be careful not to drop the bottom guide into the sump.
apparently it only slides onto little "ribs" cast into the timing cover ( stupid design if you ask me )
so after my transmission is replaced I will buy a timing chain set ( where did you get yours for $75? ) and have a crack at it.

Also I changed my oil a few weeks ago and now when the engine is cold the lash adjusters tick like hell....should I try a different grade oil? Im using castrol 20-50 but have been told that Sheel helix "blue" is great for these engines ( I think its about 25-75 )

I will also look into getting them shimmed or simply rebuilt, but I heard that if you add deisel to the oil and run for 15 minutes, drain, then do any oil/filter change it should help clean some of the gum deposits out of the adjusters....is this myth?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 10-21-2002, 18:31   #10 (permalink)

Gidday,
My local spares shop (Cyril Harris Auto Spares)has timing chain kits, that's chain, guides, tensioner, seal and gaskets for $75. He's a Ford nut and certainly has the best price around for Ford parts. (Sounds like an add :) )
Cheers
Ross
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech