resetting error lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 14:26   #1 (permalink)
JoeHunter

resetting error lights

Recently on two occasions when I tried to start the car, I got one loud noise as the starter engaged and then didn't turn. The first time, I just waited a while and the car eventually started. However, the voltage must have gone down low enough to lose all the radio station settings.

The second time, I also saw most of the error lights on the dashboard come on. Again, I figured it was a low battery condition because of another problem. I recharged the battery for an hour or so, and the car started normally, but three of the error lights remained on Check Oil, ABS Break light and the secod break light immediately above that.
(1993 Ford Aerostar).

Since I didn't believe these were valid lights and were only associated with the voltage problem when trying to start earlier, I checked the error codes and found none (111), but I took a reset cycle for them anyway.
The three ights remained on.

Later, I took the car to a garage to ask about them, and during the drive, the Check Oil light went off but the two brake ones remained on.

At the garage, I turned the engine off while I went into talk to the mechanic. When he came out and I started it again, all error lights were now off.

Vaguely, I seem to remember from a long time ago, that some cars required some finite number of engine on/off cycles to reset things after the battery was disconnected for more than a very short time.

Could this condition have been something like that?

Thank you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech