Respray? what other options - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 05:32   #1 (permalink)
I wanna eat your children

Respray? what other options

Hi guys,

as some of u may have already read, some low life piece of shit decided to key the crap out of my passenger side. until today, my paint work was pretty damn clean....but yer, thats over.

the entire passenger side was keyed, there is about 10-15 key strokes on the rear panel alone, but this panel actually came off the best....if thats possible. The scratches on the rear quarter are quite deep, but there is no white showing (red car).

the rest of the side wasnt so lucky. the rear door has a very deep scratch, about 10cm long at the rear of the door itself....there is also a scratch that covers about 90% of the rear door which is also very deep

the front door is pretty much the same as the back. there is a scratch that goes pretty much the length of the door...and its deep enough to show white.....very deep actually

the front quarter has a nasty scratch that goes all the way over the wheel arch....and then another scratch, again about 10cm coming off where the head light ends.

basically, i wanna get it fixed...and seeing as how im not rolling in cash...i want the cheapest option...but not so cheap that it looks terrible. touch up paint, IMO, wont do any good for the amount of scratchin....and will stand out shockingly.

what im wondering is, firstly, does anyone have any idea what kind of price im lookin at to respray the 4 affected panels. (2 doors and 2 quarters)

or is it possible to get the color matched and just spray over the scratches themselves?

thanks guys
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2004, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Respray? what other options

Bugger! That's no bloody good!

Probably the best option would be to colur match and then cut back and spray over the scratches. Make sure you get a painter with good recommendations though, colourmatching is an art and, unfortunately, it's easy to find somebody who is not good at it. With a red car, 1990, you'll probably be looking at some fading which means simply buying factory paint is not likely to be an option. I'll take a punt at $3-$700 to do the job, but that's WA prices Anyway it varies fairly widely with the painter.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:54   #3 (permalink)

got a quote today from a car dealer i know....

he can get it done for $800 (thats supposed to be a mates rate).

he said the whole side of the car needs to be resprayed.....and that this guy could do it so u would never know it had been done....

im waitin on another mate to give me a quote....but either way, i think its gonna have to wait a while

move to melbourne Falkeen
Old 04-22-2004, 04:09   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Mate, i feel for ya and i know what im going through. I went away with work and left my car in the base care park. After i got back i noticed that someone had stolen the car cover splashed battery acid up the side, on the bonnet, and on the roof, leaving little pits and chips and cracked marks all down the car. I was totally gutted.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 00:27   #5 (permalink)
Andy the Ambo

If they get caught they should be sprayed with battery acid :)
Old 05-28-2004, 00:43   #6 (permalink)

damn this thread is old....but i agree clinton.....cause pain
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech