Reverse Light fuse keeps blowing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2003, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Reverse Light fuse keeps blowing

Hey guys, a fair while back we changed my EA from 4 speed auto to 3 speed ( due to lack of funds so dont ask ) and My reverse lights have never worked since. Now, about 7 months later I have finally bothered to try and fix them, I pulled the fuse out and it was blown, put in a new one, blew that too, so obviously its hooked up wrong.
Can anyone tell me which wire coming from the nuetral safety switch is for the reverse lights and exactly where it heads. Does it come up into the engine bay first? or does it go through the tranny tunnel into the fuse box etc etc?

In the engine bay theres 3 red/black wires which we had to join together for it to start, Im thinking that perhaps one of these is for the reverse lights and is connected to the wrong one. ( stupid Ford having 3 of the exact same coloured wires within the one plug )

If anyone can give me a few details on where the wires SHOULD go thatd be a great help, my gregories manual is useless when it comes to wiring diaghrams, none of the colours are right for a start

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2003, 00:36   #2 (permalink)

Not sure on EA's, but on my xa the NSS has four wires - two for reverse, two for ignition kill in 1,2,R, and D. On the xa power runs through the NSS, to the indicator assembly where it is sent to the two rear indicators. All the wires are red and black.

Stick a multi meter on the NSS, and play with it. you will soon work out what is what.

I spent a full day trying to figure out why my reverse lights would not work, before cracking open the NSS to find the contacts were good enough to give a voltage reading on the multimeter, but just worn enough to prevent any meanigful current going through to the reversing lights. I went through three switches before I found a good one.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 21:43   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Im having no luck with it at all,
I know which two wires are for the neutral safety switch itself, which leaves two wires, red/black and a black wire. No matter which way i have these two wires around the reverse lights dont work! if I have the red/black wire joinmed with the red/black wire in the original loom it blows the fuse, if I hook it up to the black wire it doesnt blow the fuse but the reverse lights still dont work.
Could a faulty reverse light switch cause the fuse to blow?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech