Ford Forums banner

REvs at 100 kph

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  EA90_S 
#1 ·
Hey all.

My Fairmont runs at a lazy 1950 or so revs at 100 kph.

My wifes Failane runs at 2500.:huh:

(Both are 5 litre, mine a 91 EB and hers a 93 NC).

Would this be because of the diff ratios? and what should they be reving at for 100 kph in standard trim.

Pete

#5 ·
We just had the trans replaced, and I thought that might it, but it hasn't changed (trans was stuffed).

hmmm .. might get the trans guy to have a look at it again.

#6 ·
Yes, speaking in IRC a better suggestion was given: transmission is failing to get into 4th gear. This is a problem that has been dealt with on these forums before. If need be I can do a search and dig up the appropriate thread.

#7 ·
That would be handy. I don;t think that this is the problem, but it could be.

Pete

#9 ·
Baeddan said:
Hey all.
My Fairmont runs at a lazy 1950 or so revs at 100 kph.
My wifes Failane runs at 2500.:huh:
(Both are 5 litre, mine a 91 EB and hers a 93 NC).
Would this be because of the diff ratios? and what should they be reving at for 100 kph in standard trim.

Pete
Sounds like it isn't going into overdrive.
Easy way to check is to select between '3' and 'D' on the gear lever at a steady 100kph and see if the revs change at all.
If the revs don't change, you have a problem with the transmission.

Rick.

#10 ·
Same topic different Car.

What should my EA rev at if its in 'D' power is off, and is doing 100km. Thanks guys, i always feel it revs low but i dont know what other EA's do.

Thanks

#12 ·
My SVO's 4 speed has shit itself in reverse and if I rev it while in R
(2500 plus STILL NO MOVEMENT!!!) It seems to enable a limp mode where if I dont turn the ignition off completly when I select D it will not enguage 4th no matter what speed.
After about 5kms of freeway cruising @ 100-110kmh (2500) it will select 4TH like nothings ever happened?

So maybe your gearbox computer is playing up or selector link

HAPPY NYE

JOE

#13 ·
yeah Joe has a good point, I know that if my EF would go into limp-home mode it wouldn't select 4th or lock-up.....it's worth a check because something as simple as having too many fuses (like as little as 2 or 3) blown/pulled out would send it into limp-home mode...

dave

#14 ·
The gearbo is using all 4 gears, so I don;t think it is any of those suggestions. It seems to point to the diff as having a strange ratio. Will get that looked at.

Pete

#16 ·
It has a new one in it. Will be going back to the gearbox installer soon for a checkup at 1000k, so I will ask him then

#17 ·
EA CFI 4 speed, completely standard

When I had the 4 speed in it it revved at around 1950rpm @ 100kph, with the 3 speeder in her now she revs at 2250rpm @ 100kph

mine doesnt even reach 2500rpm when sitting on 120kph so yeah...has it always done this?

#18 ·
Not Sure - It is the wife's car, and I only noticed it since I got the EB, and figured they should be the same, not so different

#20 ·
Mine revs around 1800rpm @ 100kph... thats a 4spd auto with a 2.92 Diff...

Brent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.