Ford Forums banner

Running on 5 cylinders

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rolli 
#1 ·
Wondering if you guys/ girls can help me out any. I have an XE with a 250, I recently converted it from auto to manual, and now everything seems to be dying on me (now that it is getting some revs) The latest problem is its only running on 5 cylinders, I have checked the spark so its not that. There is a huge hole in the muffler, that wouldnt be causing it would it? it still drives ok, any ideas? Will I have to take the head off and have a look? Thanks!! XE-ESP

#4 ·
XE-ESP said:
Thanks for your reply, its carby. Um, I took the leads off the plugs one by one. If I take it off the 3rd cylinder from the front the car runs exactly the same, no change at all. Thanks again. XE-ESP
It could be the exhaust, i've seen it before. Check number 3 & 4 plugs, you might find they're fouled. If you look at the manifold you'll notice the flange directly below 3 & 4. If you exhaust is blocked (which it could be if you muffler is screwed) you get presure from the exhaust blowing back into 3 & 4....

Can you hear or see the spark when you pull the lead off 3??? If you get spark, could be dodgy plug, burnt valve, blown head gasket or exhaust. Get a comp test done, if that checks out pull undo the flange and try that....

#5 ·
stick a bolt (or screw whatever) into the end up no.3 lead and see uf you get a spark to earth over ~1 - 2 mm (dont put the screw in while running or with ignition on to be safe)

if u get a good spark.. then the plug is dodgy, or you have other probs (valve / head gasket)..

if no spark - try another lead, check under the dizzy cap also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.