Running Lean - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 09:21   #1 (permalink)

Running Lean

I Have A Cold Air Intake, Performance Mass Airflow Sensor And Superchips Installed On My Expedition. My Check Engine Light Came On, Truck Started Idling Really Rough In The Park Position. I Researched Some Possible Problems And Read My "mafs" Could Be Dirty And Needed To Be Cleaned. I Connected My Superchips To Read The "dtc's" And Got P0171 And P0174 (sys Lean On Both Banks 1 And 2) I Cleared The "dtc's" Reprogrammed The Truck Back To Stock, The Light Went Off And Purred Like A Kitten. Never Shook Or Idled Rough Again. I Didn't Clean The "mafs" But Would Like To Program My Truck Back To The Settings I Had On There. I Used 87 Octane To Gain The Most Mileage But Started Reading Some Of The Fine Print And Came Across, I Shouldn't Use This Setting Without Installing A 4lb Pully To Boost Something Or Another??? What The Hell Is A 4lbs Pully?? How Do I Correct The Problem From Running Lean? What Is Bank 1 And Bank 2? Has Anyone Else Had Any Similar Problems With Programming Thier Truck?
JANORTHCUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 17:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Running Lean

what vehicle is this on?
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:13   #3 (permalink)

99 ford expedition 5.4 2wd
Old 10-29-2006, 05:21   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Disque
what vehicle is this on?
He did say on his expedition, but of course engine size and year would be a big help too.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:39   #5 (permalink)

latest findings. i contacted superchips to inform them what was going on. rep stated my performance (mafs) is not compatible with the programmer??? how can that be? he said one or the other. so i contacted granntelli (sp??) to see what they had to say. rep said he has never heard of the 2 not being compatible. he said both should work together and enhance my performance. he did state the cold air intake already changes up the air flow, then to add the mafs it would need to be calibrated. are there performance shops that will straighten everything out. i don't want to have to get rid of anything unless i absolutely have to, meaning it's going to mess the vehicle up. can a shop even out the "running lean"??
Old 11-09-2006, 12:30   #6 (permalink)

Unforutunatly with aftermarket MAF's the calibration that it has is not being read right with stock tuning or aftermarket tuning unless it is recalibrated for.
I.E custom tuning
We do ot offer custom tuning any longer.
As for the 4lbs pulley option, this is only for a lightning. There should not be a option when tuning.

Ron
Stay Tuned!!!!
SUPERCHIPTUNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

If the MAF table can be modified any MAF can be made to work, kind of.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54   #8 (permalink)

i was told after speaking with superchips and granetelli the 2 are not compatible. both have their own mapping. i then called a performance shop that works on "stangs". rep said "yes they can remap with the aftermarket parts i have, but that means adding more fuel to the mix, which unfortunately means burning more fuel, buying more fuel without a noticeable 10 additional hsp." so he suggested putting the stock MAF back on, leave the k&n cold air and superchips. this should balance out the air/ fuel ratio and correct "running lean". does anyone know this to be accurate?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:04   #9 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

If the tune in the SuperChip is not mapped for the particular MAF then yes go back to stock.

If you can adjust the MAF table for the particular MAF it would indeed tell the PCM to add more fuel at the necessary AD counts. This does not mean you will use more fuel in normal driving but reflects the MAFs ability to flow more air.

If you are getting a lean code then you need to add more fuel providing that all hardware is in good mechanical shape.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:23   #10 (permalink)

if i leave my granetelli and superchips on, remap to where i do in fact add more fuel to the mix, so im not running lean anymore. will i gain hsp? performance? will it be noticeable? increase or decrease gas mileage. i bought these aftermarket products to make my 5.4 expedition get up and go. they are so sluggish and i know why, they're huge and heavy. but i was hoping these products would help. now im seeing im running into mechanical issues and i do not want to compromise the life of the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech