Running on when off !!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2002, 18:43   #1 (permalink)
mark38oz

Running on when off !!!

My EA Runs on sometimes when you turn it off, Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2002, 21:49   #2 (permalink)

do you know if your car is running rich ?
is the temperature gauge higher than usual ?
does it ping ?
try a compression test, maybe a carbon buildup, and check the injectors, make sure they arnt leaking fuel into the engine.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 22:01   #3 (permalink)
Westkoast EA

EAs ''running when off!''?!?

HA lol,try taking it down the shop,after u turn it off you might have the first EA that runs on fresh air HA HA HA.But thats the funnyest thing ive heard since someone on this site stated they beat a VR 5LTR in their EA,i love EAs i chose one but they are not that quick !!.
Old 02-24-2002, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
sgreatwood

Re: EAs ''running when off!''?!?

he he, chances are that it's your Idle Speed Controller servo. it's a little motor/magnet thingy that increases idle speed to stop the engine stalling. if it gets gummed up then it can screw with all sorts of things. I'm getting this a bit at the moment. it needs cleaning, by the sounds of it.

Simon
Old 02-25-2002, 06:23   #5 (permalink)
Chris EA

Re: EAs ''running when off!''?!?

I had the same problem, Check if any of the air ducts are loose.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:05   #6 (permalink)
shorsfall

re

It sounds like the timing on your motor is out. I would probably check that first. Also maybe clean your plugs.
Old 04-11-2002, 20:53   #7 (permalink)
shockermoler

running on

if its CFI your injectors might be leaking, and if its a really early motor make sure the timing isn't slowly retarding itself. early motors used a roll pin to key the cam sprocket (later ones used a roll pin) which on my old car had flattened out and retarded the timning by almost 8 degrees. fixing that stopped the running on and also gave it considerably more bottom end torque.
Old 04-12-2002, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
jsantas

Re the roll pin.

Anyone have a diagram of this where it is located. I think you might have solved an issue i am currently having. I find by setting the timming to factory specs the car has no guts all comp tests etc show up ok. I find if i advance the timming the car hammers. Any ideas. I was even thinking of advancing the cam by one tooth to see if it makes a difference then retard the base timming to see if it retains the power. Hope this makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech