RWKW for my EL Wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2002, 19:26   #1 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

RWKW for my EL Wagon

Hi again all,

Firstly, sorry for all these recent threads - but you guys are the best resource for my queries ! OK, power at the fly on my EL is supposed to be 157, so I'm guessing a 30% drivetrain loss (is that accurate??) which would bring it down to ~110 RWKW (when new obviously!). My first question is : Being a wagon with the longer wheel-base, would there be more drivetrain loss than that of an EL sedan ? Secondly, it's running on LPG, so I'm guessing I'd lose more power again from a factory setup ?

OK, now this is where I get confused and annoyed (I'll try to stay composed!). I have upgraded the exhaust manifold to pacemaker extractors with stainless steel piping, including a hi-flow cat. Sorry should have specified, I have an inline 6. OK, so I'm presuming that she should breathe a bit better and not only should I be getting more performance, but slightly better economy too.

I recently upgraded my LPG system to the Gas Research throttle body and fuel converter, which they *guarantee* at least 10% more power. OK, bearing this in mind I was thinking that I'd be looking at around 120rwkw. Anyway, cutting to the chase I was suprised to see that my car had a dyno power run, producing only 107.6 rwks !! According to GRA, a stock EL produces 95 rwkw - but if that were to be true, then that would mean that there is ~40% drivetrain loss (difference between 157 @ the fly and 95 at the treads!) ??? I don't know about that !! Can anyone help me here - I just want to know if there's something wrong with my baby !! Oh and I'm also getting $hite economy still (grrrr - as that was the main reason to do the ~$1500 upgrade!) 250 kms per tank of LPG.

Sorry for the long post (and rant), but it just seems that it's a hefty upgrade for not that much difference!!

Thanks for hearing me out lads n lasses!
Steve
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 20:23   #2 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

First thing, I would mainly be using a dyno to compare the changes different mods make after originally doing a base dyno run.

Going from one dyno to the other you are gonna get different readings.... if you go to the dyno down the street you never know you might get those extra kws you are missing as they all read differently.

Also, little off topic but just interested in how much your gas research throttle body and converter cost?? I am pretty interested in doing this myself. PM me if you want to keep the thread on topic.

Cheers...

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Just FYI

With a Falcon running on LPG instead of petrol, before any modifications are done, you've got a lot less power.

For example:

2002 Falcon Forte Sedan (petrol)
Power: 157kw @ 4900rpm
Torque: 357Nm @ 3000rpm

2002 Falcon Forte Sedan (LPG)
Power: 143kw @ 4500rpm
Torque: 362Nm @ 2750rpm

So there's your difference and obviously your lack of rwkw when comparing to a petrol based Falcon.

Cheers,
Matt
AcIlLaTeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 03:42   #4 (permalink)

Yeah fair enough - but what about $hite economy ?? 250 kms for 55 litres (approximate total usable) - that's pretty ordinary. I just 'know' something's NQR ! ! Sorry, just venting some frustration !! grrr

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-03-2002, 03:50   #5 (permalink)

Yeah fair enough - but what about $hite economy ?? 250 kms for 55 litres (approximate total usable) - that's pretty ordinary. I just 'know' something's NQR ! ! Sorry, just venting some frustration !! grrr

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-03-2002, 04:05   #6 (permalink)

I have an EL XR6 with genie extractors and system , K & N filter
and all i have is 107 RWKW.It's an auto.I posted a dyno sheet here somewhere ages ago.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 04:22   #7 (permalink)

Hmmm, thanks for the info regarding power - I guess I'm expecting a bit much - especially from an LPG setup =\ Anyway, I guess my other concern is with economy - is it possible that I'm losing economy through having a troublesome gearbox / drivetrain ? I honestly have no idea anymore, as I thought that the LPG fuel converter and throttle body would have fixed all these problems :-(

Any info appreciated !

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-03-2002, 08:24   #8 (permalink)

Why dont you go and test drive another EL wagon, and see if its quicker or slower. Maybe even get a mate to drive the other one and have a drag?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 16:46   #9 (permalink)

Hiya Martin,

Hmmm, that's an idea, but I don't know anyone with an EL wagon LOL !! The gf does have an EL sedan - that could be a start ;-)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-04-2002, 04:20   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

dcstraight,

My EF wagon makes 136kw at the wheels. So i can vouch wagons don't anything to the sedan sisters. :s6: :s6: :s6:

With your car on gas engine at the fly is somewhere around 135-140kw i'm guesing. As the dedicated LPG from tickford only makes 142kw at the fly.

Putting that at the wheels your wagon is pretty much spot on.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech