S1 & S5 Solenoid - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2003, 03:17   #1 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

S1 & S5 Solenoid

http://www.fixingcars.com.au/demo/ea...rancomprob.php

when I read this I saw the exact issue i have with my EA's 4 speed auto. the rough gear change into second when cold is a constant worry to me. However, i have never seen this fault documented in any workshop manuals. has anyone successfully fixed this problem by replacing the S1 solenoid? also, would it be worth replacing the S5 while im at it? does anyone know the cost of the solenoid from ford or elsewhere?

cheers fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 17:55   #2 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Re: S1 & S5 Solenoid

S5 solenoid costs at least $300 bucks depending on where you get it.

How does you trans go when changing thru to other gears?

Let us know exactly what your box is doing and I might be able to help you.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 21:19   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

My Auto sometimes has a firm shift when changing up to 2nd when cold, i don't think it's a issue in fact I think it's normal.

Just watch out for gear changes where it takes a long time to change, slips out of gears for a long time before changing etc. If yours is just firm in shifting to second it's probably nothing wrong, but if it goes out of first and takes about a second to change up, then you have a problem.
Old 06-23-2003, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

i think ive got a prob as well....Only when givving it a bootfull through the hills, the dowshifts sort of jerk in, a short break in power 0.2 sec and then thrust forward hard.......sound normal?

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 21:34   #5 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
i think ive got a prob as well....Only when givving it a bootfull through the hills, the dowshifts sort of jerk in, a short break in power 0.2 sec and then thrust forward hard.......sound normal?

What model do you have? Is it only when downshifting? What's it like when you go up through the gears?

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

Old 06-23-2003, 22:25   #6 (permalink)

94 EF Fairmont Ghia.

When the econ is switched off, clunks badly when changing from first to 2nd, only when hot after driving for 30 minutes to an hour.

When econ is on, clunks/jerks from 3rd to 4th.

Intermitant, this doesn't always happen. Some days it can drive like it brand new...

When I say it clunks, it chirps tyres and really slams you in the back.

cheers
cj2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 23:45   #7 (permalink)
EB wagon

cj... that is exactly the same thing my car does. After 5mins or so of driving, when the box gets hot it bangs into 2nd really harshly. Does it going into 4th too but not as harsh. 2nd to 3rd is normal. I went and payed $350 to get the S5 replaced coz i fort it was that but nup, it wasnt :( The auto place i went to reckons its a crack in some servo thing that controls the front (i think) band. $400 to fix. Does yours slip slightly when in lockup?? Im dumping the auto for my T5 i got. Auto's r a pain in the arse and end up costing the earth..

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:42   #8 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

rossi:
what the issue with my auto is:

when cold it has a rough change from 1-2. usually this will only happain once a day, becuase by the time it has to do that change again the car is warm. Other than that I cannot flaw the gearbox.

donuts2003:
Its definatly not normal. its quite a violent change.

Last edited by barry_v; 06-24-2003 at 02:48.
barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:50   #9 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

I've heard that using a different brand of Transmission Fluid has helped the rough shifts when cold for some people, my AU does it but haven't tried switching Fluids
Old 06-24-2003, 03:14   #10 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Barry,

You can usually tell when the S5 solenoid is going, as the change from 1-2, and 3-4 is harsh, but only mostly when warm/hot (2-3 usually not affected).

If it's only once a day, as the car is warming up, a change in oil might be your cure. There is one that I've been recommended but you'll have to wait till tomorrow. (Brainbox not what it used to be- TQ95? ).

Last edited by rossi; 06-24-2003 at 22:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech