S5 solenoid? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2002, 08:07   #1 (permalink)
Brent79

S5 solenoid?

Hey boyz, Now i have all my engine problems sorted, i need to direct attention too my driveline. And that means the auto needs fixin. Depending on how much this is going to cost me, i still have a T5 in the back of my mind. Anyhow - the guy that ran my car on the EFI gyro-dyno-hydro-visco-sisco scope (whateva the fuc it is) said he thinks that my S5 in my auto is faulty. After reading a bit about the S5 solenoid - i can most definately confirm that this is a faulty part in my autobox. The S5 solenoid is supposed to assist in smooth gear changing. Sorta like a pressure valve of some sort. Although if you drive the car moderately you will barely notice the flaw cept when you give her some then you can feel it. Its like the box shifts out of gear then waits some time before shifting into the next gear.
Its also annoying when racing as if i take her up too 4000rpm (i wont go higher than that) and she decides to shift, the needle comes down (almost to idle) then engages gear, jumps a bit and kicks back into racing mode. Can be annoying at times.
What i want to know is if the solenoid can be removed without removing the trannie? The vavle body is under the pan is it not??? Ive been told its a $600 job.
For $600 i could get a decent T5 id say :) )
What are your thoughts?

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2002, 10:12   #2 (permalink)
major woodchip

the solenoids are on the valve body under the filter...u don't need to drop the trans but u do need a special driver to remove the valve body and solenoids..

escapes me what it called (posie drive?) but similar to the security bolts holding the radio in...

anyway the s5's are cheaper if u get a commodore one ...it will give a slightly crisper change 2..

hope it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech