Sad Sack Ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2002, 19:29   #1 (permalink)

Sad Sack Ute

A while ago I asked your opinions for my 86 XF ute: bad economy, lack of grunt. And I'm going to ask again for suggestions. Found one problem was the rear disc brakes were gripping all the time, so that accounted for some lack of grunt, various horrible noises and 50km worth of petrol. However, I still have lack of grunt, and until warm, a coughing, spluttering engine on accelleration.

I had this problem with the old engine and trannie, and I thought that by putting in a new engine, and new trannie, it would alleviate the prob. No luck. Have tried various MAPS and ECG's, but still no luck. Plugs and leads have been changed, carby done, electrics checked, new fuel pump, fuel filter, etc etc. $6000,000 later .........

Can anyone think of a problem this car may have, which may not be due to engine or trannie, since both are new, and the same problems existed with the old engine and trannie?

I really, really, really, look forward to your suggestions!
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2002, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Sound like the only thing that hasn't changed is the driver.....:s5

Interesting challenge.....What about Cat Conv, being 86 model would be on unleaded wouldn't it???
Old 05-19-2002, 05:04   #3 (permalink)
GTHO4

I have an XC falcon ute with a 250 XF engine and the problem with this is it aint a V8.... how I regret that!!
To me they are a slug unless you spend $$$ on performance gear to get moving a little...not worth it IMO.

Piss it off!!! and save yourself the dramas.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:57   #4 (permalink)
Mach1 Pilot

Fuel injected XFs are notorious for being crappy...........My wifes old XF fairmont (fuely) was slower than my old XF (Carbed) work ute.
Old 05-20-2002, 18:06   #5 (permalink)

This engine came out of my XF sedan, and in that it ran fine - heaps of grunt, reliable etc. Cat is are also from my sedan and has been checked and is fine.

Yes, a V8 would be much better, but I'd worry about the car being pinched if I modified it that much .... daily driver you see .....

Does anyone think this may be a trannie problem rather than engine?
Old 05-20-2002, 18:28   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

First of all i'm no mechanic so i'm only going from what i know. From what you described about coughing and spluttering when cold and it goes ok when warm it sounds like a carby tune problem. I realise you already done this but perhaps the carby is defective in some way.

I remember my mates XF Fairmont had a slight jutter when the car was warm.

Perhaps it's worth asking other XF carby owners if the carby is spot on in all weather conditions or the carby needs constant tuning.

Just some suggestions.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Umm by saying map etc I assume it's efi ?Though you say carb done?If carb fuel level maybe too high.
If efi the ecu been checked for fault codes? Then check things that control fuel. t.p.s/ h.e.g.o/ fuel pressure regulator.The pipe or hose going to your map is not fraded or leaking? And connected properly to your inlet manifold.. It will be simple things like that, that has been over looked..That has been done on change over or was there before ??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:33   #8 (permalink)
GTHO4

Quote:
Originally posted by carolyn

Does anyone think this may be a trannie problem rather than engine?
Could be the trannie (bands may need adjusting) although you still have the coughing/spluttering problem when cold.

Like XR says it may need tuning and if it's a carby, may need to be pulled apart, cleaned and worn parts replaced.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:04   #9 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

get a holley. webers always have problems like that later the model the worse thay are im always fixing the choke.
gets stuck closed when cold .
undo air cleaned wd40 choke assembly
and bit of carby cleaner aswell down the carby .
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech