Ford Forums banner

Serious Tail Shaft Rubbing

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
Ok, this is the problem. I've lowered my car with superlow springs etc. Whilst driving I can't hear any unusual noises, so I thought nothing was wrong. The other day I went under my car to check everything out and I see a great big shiny mark going about 20cm in the tail shaft tunnel. So I ripped the tailshaft so I can get a hammer in there to hit the floor up. Then I notice smaller rub marks going the entire length of the tailshaft tunnel.

I spent about an hour and a half under my car with the biggest hammer I could swing to try and raise the floor up so it wont rub. I sprayed the tunnel with some black paint and checked it again and its still not enough. How the hell do I fix this without putting higher springs in it?

I've got dual fuel btw so there's extra weight in the back, and no, getting rid of the gas isnt an option.

#3 ·
I know the rear bushes on the upper control arms are gone, I wouldnt of thought that just those two bushes gone would cause such drama.

So it doesnt rub at all with weight in the back or under hard acceleration now?

#4 ·
XplodEd EA said:
I know the rear bushes on the upper control arms are gone, I wouldnt of thought that just those two bushes gone would cause such drama.
This allows the snout of the diff to lift markedly, bringing the tailshaft up to meet the tunnel proportionately more than would be expected by suspension travel alone.

#7 ·
When we fitted a T56 [Tremec 6 sp] on a Chicks car in our club which has supper low springs. It did the same. But Mal Wood was up to the task. We had to fit 15mm spacers under rear gear box X member..Fixed !!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.