Serious Worry!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2003, 19:20   #1 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

Serious Worry!!

Well it is safe to say I have no idea what to do about my engine noise?

For those of you who don't know my troubles here is a quick outline. Please understand I am not a super mechanic (I don't pretend to be, super computer geek maybe....but that is a different story.)

My car is mildly work, having a JMM Dev 4 (so new ported head, extractors, zort, cam and rocker gear). The car is currently running 14 degrees timing and the cam is advanced 6 degrees. And I am running PULP (I would be silly not to).

The noise I have is a rattle, that occurs at 1500rpm - 1750 rmp(with out fail, no matter if I am going up hill, down hill or straight) and sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. The best way to describe the noise would be metal on metal, clapping together.

I have check several things first off i check the valve that allows fuel fumes into the engine at low load and rpm (located over near the airbox) and it isn't that. Belts are all new.

I have dropped the car off at my mech. today for him to play with. He wondered if it was the timing chain (the car has done 180,000 kms and prob needs a new one anyways), fan clutch or one of the pullys.

If anyone else has some ideas I would be greatfull to know them.

Any noise that you can't pin point is bad i feel, it will prob turn out to be nothing but god it is anoying when you don't know.

ben
biggaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2003, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I'd be looking at exhaust. Otherwise I would suspect a broken chain tensioner (common).

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Hard to tell without hearing it!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

i have checked all the bolts that hold the the intake and exhaust manifolds on. and they are fine.

broken chain tensioner...hummm never thought of that. would this cause serious damage?

ben
Old 05-28-2003, 20:41   #5 (permalink)

biggaben it sounds like it is the timming chain or lower timming gear on crankshaft worn and reqiures replacing.
I have done a lot of these since ea came out. I am only on the goldcoast so it would not be to hard for you to bring down for me to listen to
IAN SCHMIDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

yep sounds like my problem biggaben, my crank sprocket and woodruff key are chewed out and causing a timing chain rattle between just above idle until around 1500rpm

The best way to check it is remove the rocker cover, get a torch and look down into the timing cover, then turn the engine clockwise slightly and see if the crank sprocket moves immediately, if it DOESNT then its worn

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:00   #7 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

Car back and situation unchanged

well i have the car back now...and short story is the noise is still there.

my mech looked all over the car and short of starting to replace everything he has no idea what it is. but doesn't think it is serious.....still call me paranoid. any may my mechy has replaced oil and filter.

now after all of this....well not much just me stressing :s3

but the situation has changed alittle.

the rattle has climed up the rev range. instead of starting at 1500 it now starts and 1800 rpm, and it isn't as intense as it was.

IAN: i might take you up on that offer.

SIX-IN-A-ROW: what is involved it getting that fixed? engine removal?

I might just get a new timing chain kit and start with that.

any more ideas? is it strange that the new oil changed the noise?

ben
biggaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:45   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

If it's not the chain, I'd be looking at the valve stem guides next.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 04:01   #9 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

if it was a valve problem wouldn't i be experincing missing and crappy idle? thats what i thought. correct me if i am wrong

ben
Old 05-29-2003, 16:59   #10 (permalink)

i had a dev 5 cam fitted and it was a rattly POS to begin with and some bad news for you they most likely put a shim or shims in the wrong ordier ie below insead on above or vice versa. This means head off again maybe running gear out to check the shims... while they are there get them to drill out the shims slightly so there is more clearence for oil to flow into lifters did this to mine and it worked a treat...
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech