sgreatwood - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2002, 23:12   #1 (permalink)
ben

sgreatwood

Simon, you still around buddy ?

Recently my power steering belt (original from factory) decided its too old. so it snapped, giving me very very heavy steering, anyway i replaced it the next day, but i think driving it with it off did some damage, whenever i "full lock" the steering wheel to one side, it seems to just "pour" my whole tank of steering fluid onto the ground. Did you use to have this problem, if so, what was it ?

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2002, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
sgreatwood

Ben,

shit, that's no good. i'm guessing that the loose belt you had probably didn't put as much pressure on the pump as the new one, which is ow opperating properly. After replacing the swith on mine, i found no improvement in the leaks, but replaced the o-ring with a rubber washer (at dad's suggestion) and that just about fixed it, except on really tight turns - small spot parallel parking... not good when mates get out of the car and see half a bottle of fluid on the road...

anyway, someone suggested plumbers' teflon tape, which i finally got around to doing about a week ago and i havn't seen a drop of the stuff since! wrap a few turns of the stuff around the switch thread REALLY tightly then screw back in. You may have difficulty doing this with a rubber washer, but just use the o-ring I think. maybe some gasket goo on the outside of the tape, but make sure none can get inside the rack. That could be a bad thing...

let me know how you go. hmm, that reminds me.. I owe dad a roll of tape...

Simon
Old 03-07-2002, 04:09   #3 (permalink)
ben

thats what happens to me!

whenever i do a tight park or U-turn theres a whole puddle of oil on the road

is this from the pressure switch ?

ben
Old 03-07-2002, 23:24   #4 (permalink)
sgreatwood

yep, that's my tip. the only other thing it could be is a cracked rack, which would be a REALLY band thing... the switch thread is probably sealed with something from the factory which deteriorates over time or some shit. tolerances of cheap components maybe... seal it with tape and see how you go.

Simon
Old 03-08-2002, 02:51   #5 (permalink)
ben

I'd say your right. because the p/s is the only thing that would give in under that much pressure. If it was the rack that leaks under pressure (which it does abit anyway), it would build up in the boots and drip away, it wouldnt just dump a huge puddle. Anyways ill see if it has oil leaking past it, if so i have a new p/s from my old rack which ill screw in.

thanks

ben
Old 03-09-2002, 00:58   #6 (permalink)
sgreatwood

don't worry about getting a new switch. that probly won't make a difference - I know mine didn't - I've got the old one in there now. just wrap the thread to make sure it seals properly. it's coming from teh body of the rack, not the body of the switch.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:58   #7 (permalink)
ben

but still, its coming from the switch goes ?

ben
Old 03-09-2002, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
sgreatwood

yep.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:04   #9 (permalink)
PHIL82

Oh please don't hurt your girl!!! (referring to your EA)

Install in a new Power Steering switch, it's only $80 from Ford parts for brand new.

I'll tell you my story... I experienced heavy steering when turning off an exit on the highway (which was scary, I thought the power steering has gone) AFter a prolonged time there was steam/smoke coming up from underneath when stopping at red lights... I was worried so I pulled over. This is what happens when you are under heavy steering.

Put in a new powersteering belt and.... the erm.... I don't know what that part is called... the 'pulley' thing that pulls the power steering belt around might be cracked (my heavy steering was caused by a faulty power switch and that 'pulley' part) and I got it replaced... the pulley was so badly damaged and looks like it was absoultely shaved rubbing with other metal components. I topped up the power steering oil with the auto box oil and all goes smooth now.

I have no problems since then (That was 6 months ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech