shell helix oil preassure probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

shell helix oil preassure probs

I have an ef fairmont ghia with 130k's on the clock, I run shell helix 15w50 because i get my services at mates rates. On really hot days about 30plus my oil preassure drops badly. I have the factory preassure guage which reads fine normally and my car burns no oil at all. Anyone else experienced this ???
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 22:52   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I get lower oil pressure on hot days
I use Penrite HPR30 20w-60
Old 01-24-2003, 03:47   #3 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

WIth your engine having already done those kays your big end and main bearings are no longer at a tight enough tolerance. what i find is multi grade oils that have a really low cold rating never actually stay thick enough when the temps up thats why on a car like yours your pressure is dropping too much .

This is bad and why you shouldnt be using such a shitty oil. This is why i tell people dont buy a brand buy a grade helix means nothing as does mobil 1 when they are suited to engines with very tight clearenaces such as many japanese engines. You should be using a good quality 20w-50 with that amount of milage on the motor this will hold better than the thin stuff.

Alternativley if you find it is still dropping too much you may have to go the 20w-60 which is a good oil especually if you give it a hard time. In my own car i run penrite 40w-70 which is like honey and not becuase the motors old ( actually only been in a week) but becuse even with new bearings crank rings cam ect if you wanna give it a hard time you must use a good oil so the heat doesnt water it down. Anyway thats all I have on oil.
Old 01-24-2003, 21:55   #4 (permalink)

I use Penrite Gas 20W-60 for the NF V8. I was using Castrol 15w-40 which is fine in winter, but started giving lower oil pressure readings in summer. Using the Penrite stuff was a big improvement. Good Aussie company as well. (Have we got a smilie waving an Aussie flag?)
Old 02-20-2003, 04:45   #5 (permalink)
elxr6boy

Have that problem as well. I am using Shell helix ultra 5w40 and on hot days after driving it hard will have the oil pressure gauge just above red. The sender units are not all that reliable and have yet to verify the pressure with another gauge Mine has 70,000k
Is your gauge moving into the 'red'?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:05   #6 (permalink)
the shmang

eh all i got is a crappy red light that is on practically all the time at idle anyway im changing the oil to gtx magnatec (cant remeber what grade) after givin the old 3.9 a good flushin if its still playin up i wont be too happy 175000 isnt bad for an 89 ea is it?
ONE39L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:21   #7 (permalink)

ONE39L
175000K's on a ford 6 is just run in , I'v seen a few with over 1000000K's on the clock and still going .
TA22-3SGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:55   #8 (permalink)

ONE39L,

With that mileage I would be using a 20w-something.
In the olden days before multi grade oils, good motors used a single 30 grade, and if the motor was a bit worn, a 40 grade.
Old 02-20-2003, 15:32   #9 (permalink)
Lab Rat

I not a oil expert but i think that lower oil pressure when useing a lower weight oil in most cases is not a bad think as it's more likely that the oil is flowing faster and keeping the engine cooler.
Most synthetic oils ive tryed seem to give lower oil pressure because they flow better.
Just my 2c
Old 02-21-2003, 03:09   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, you are right in some respects, but oil is a barrier between hot moving surfaces, a thin oil will never take away the heat of a thicker oil, this is simple physics. Thin oils are good for tight tolerance new motors, but your ordinay old mid mileage motor could do with something at least 15w something. and always warm up the motor before putting the boot in.

Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech