Should i chip my NL Tickford??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2004, 02:37   #1 (permalink)

Should i chip my NL Tickford???

Just wondering if i should travel down that road? She is still stock at the moment-Windsor 5L,GT40P heads, roller rockers, special camshaft, upgraded 65mm throttle body and ems, low restriction extractors and exhaust, sposed to be 195kw@4700rpm.
Any idea how many kw i could expect to gain for my dollars?
Any help would be appreciated.
NL Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 02:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: Should i chip my NL Tickford???

Didn't read the post properly

Last edited by waggy; 07-31-2004 at 03:02. Reason: stuffed up...sorry.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:38   #3 (permalink)

i wouldn't do it yet, the mods that you have arn't sufficient enough to warrent it, the eecv's can handle quite a lot of changes as long as you as you have the maf calibrated correctly to match your injectors, you can do quite a fair few mods.

http://www.fpvtickfordclubwa.com.au/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.tweecer.com

http://www.icenet.com.au/~pie
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 19:06   #4 (permalink)
strange cattle them women

Mate, I personally believe that plug in chips are all crap in Fords. They are just a carry over from the Brand X brigade and are more trouble than worth.
If you were to go to a unit like the unichip, this I would highly recommend, but stay away from the lies they try to sell you regarding plug ins.
347stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 19:10   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Mate, I personally believe that plug in chips are all crap in Fords. They are just a carry over from the Brand X brigade and are more trouble than worth.
If you were to go to a unit like the unichip, this I would highly recommend, but stay away from the lies they try to sell you regarding plug ins.
have you tried one?

I have one in my car RIGHT NOW as a trial. The plug in chips are more than capable HOWEVER, just like the unichip, they really are at their best when dyno tuned to your car. Once tuned to the car they are probably as good as any other chip.

That said, get your exhaust done first, then chip it, you will be stunned at the results.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 19:53   #6 (permalink)

Simple answer 8-16rwkw for $1200

Driveability should be better and feel is probably like 20rwkw gain if you have the mods to take adavantage of more adventurous tuning.

The fairlane by tickford had the heads so I guess with a good exhaust and maybe the AUIII 220 throtle body it may be good value for an on car chip.

Its the last mod I would think to get once the basic pumping inlet exhaust cam area has been modded
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 20:38   #7 (permalink)

i would do an exhaust first before going for a chip, you already have the 1.7 rollers,bigger maf and a 65mm tb which is big enough..
get an exhaust, then get a chip done
Old 08-02-2004, 05:03   #8 (permalink)
strange cattle them women

Hi there Casper,

To answer you yes I have have tried plug in chips and spent quite a few hours on the dyno setting them up, and have never really found any major gains. The Ford EECV computer is more than capable and does a bloody great job. I dont feel that a plug in chip is really worth the $$$$ spent. If you do any further mods, its back off to the dyno, and another chip, seeing that they are set in resin, and are not re-programmable.
If you go to a unichip, you can constantly change what is going on if you change any componants. I will be running a uni-chip on my motor once completed, and it should be putting out about 520 or so horses, and that is in conjunction with the EECV ELGT ECU I have. As far as we (engine builder and myself) are concerned, we should be able to get it all to run quite well, and this is with 8X50 mm throttle bodies on the bloody thing. Dont ever underestimate the capabilities of the factory ECU.
347stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:11   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Hi there Casper,

To answer you yes I have have tried plug in chips and spent quite a few hours on the dyno setting them up, and have never really found any major gains. The Ford EECV computer is more than capable and does a bloody great job. I dont feel that a plug in chip is really worth the $$$$ spent. If you do any further mods, its back off to the dyno, and another chip, seeing that they are set in resin, and are not re-programmable.
If you go to a unichip, you can constantly change what is going on if you change any componants. I will be running a uni-chip on my motor once completed, and it should be putting out about 520 or so horses, and that is in conjunction with the EECV ELGT ECU I have. As far as we (engine builder and myself) are concerned, we should be able to get it all to run quite well, and this is with 8X50 mm throttle bodies on the bloody thing. Dont ever underestimate the capabilities of the factory ECU.

The chiptorque chips are no longer in resin, havent been for a long time now. They are totally reprogrammable as often as you want and also tuned on the dyno if needed. I know this as I just had it done just 2 weeks ago, have video footage of it happening too!
As for the stock EEC V being pretty good, I do agree, however mine was completely screwed up. I had a stock A/F ratio of 10-1. I can say the CT chip made a huge difference. As for unichip, I'll let you know about that next week, its being fitted on friday as part of the aufalcon.com chip challange.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:43   #10 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

with 8X50 mm throttle bodies on the bloody thing

Man that setup is hot. Its what I wanted on my big block 429 before the car was trashed....
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech