should i get an amp - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2002, 08:55   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

should i get an amp

My headunit is a pioneer 45 x 4. and my rear speakers are 300watt kenwood 6 x 9's. from running off the head the high frequency sounds tend to distort would putting an amp to them fix this problem?
If yes what sort of amp would i need in terms of brand and specs?
Thanks heaps guys.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2002, 15:31   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

By getting an amp the speakers should sound clearer, and go louder. Basically, to a certain extent, the more power you put into them, the better there going to sound.

I would suggest anything above the 2x100WRMS mark will do fine. The brand and power rating will depend on your budget, but don't go too overboard on $$$ for a 6x9 amp.

Don't forget to add in the cost of wiring for the amp, including an inline fuse, RCA leads and power cables. There are usually wiring kits for sale in most audio shops, about $40 for the kit is the norm.

Hope this helped.

Old 03-01-2002, 01:47   #3 (permalink)
ben

buy yourself a 4 channel 100watter or something at 4 ohms, bridge it for now and then when you want to add speakers you got some leverage.

it will sound 1000% better and more volume through an amp as bassy said, but you can plug the same signal into 7 amps at the same gain factor and volume, and get 7 totally different sounds. Generally the more expensive the better with car audio gear. (although ive seen some dirt cheap subs that sound better than rockford $2500 ones with more power handling)

just to answer your question though, yes, get an amp, it will help, any amp to your price range is better than what u have, go for quality not so much wattage ratings.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:53   #4 (permalink)
rmyers1

I'm used a $400 amp to run my 6x9's, and you can REALLY tell how much bassier and clearer the sound is compared to a $150 audioline amp.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:56   #5 (permalink)

mmmm audioline lol, yea look any amp is going to be better than running them off the hu, and the better the amp the cleaner the sound, but is it worth spending $400 on rear fill?
ppl have different preferences, which is what makes car audio good. Depends on budget and what sound u want, if u getting a sub, then u dont have to work the shelf speakers as hard.
and my audioline 2X150 does the job on the 7x10's.

Oh and the 300w is peak not rms on the speakers.

Madeas
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:35   #6 (permalink)
Sp33dY

Dont knock the audioline!!
PErsonally... your can beat value for money when it comes to Audioline.
Old 03-01-2002, 16:57   #7 (permalink)
-

the audioline im running for my sub at the moment impressed the **** out of me. its the biggest one they had at JB. it cost something pissy like $279, and does at LEAST 350WRMS @4ohm. the amp i had before it, a 2x100 jaycar, was tested at 234WRMS @4ohm, cost me $220, and was nowhere near as powerful.

of course, theres no substitute for quality, but for good sound on a budget, theyre one of the few reasonable brands IMO.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 22:17   #8 (permalink)
ben

yep you dont know the limits of your xsystem untilkl tyou hear something better, and trust me, there is
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech