Simota Air intake (WARNING!!!) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 14:16   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Simota Air intake (WARNING!!!)

Hey guys,
Yesterday I removed the Simota pot air filter from my engine and to my surprise I found small pieces of pebbles on the wrong side of the filter. I then gave the thing a shake and more came through. It has been letting dust etc. through..... Not Happy Jan!

I then decided to put the air box back on. I forgot how loud the bloody intake made the car, now it hush hush again.

Anyhow, I advise you guys check out your pot filters if you are unsure about there quality.

Cheers
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2002, 14:06   #2 (permalink)
Mallyboo

Sheesh eh

Good thing you found it BC before too much longer. btw - how much did you pay for the filter?? Just curious.

M..........
Old 01-30-2002, 14:29   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: Sheesh eh

My mate works at Autobarn and got me a discount, I paid $20.
Old 01-30-2002, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Mallyboo

:)

So no disrespect BC, but a cheap and nasty one then. Good experience to find out sooner rather than later.

Nuff said,

M.........
Old 01-30-2002, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
AcidBurns

Re: :)

BC, if your filter made enough of a difference to hear it, you mighthave halved the life of your valves too? :(
Old 01-30-2002, 17:14   #6 (permalink)
Mallyboo

Pod Filters

Hey AB - all of those pod filters make a noticeable noise increase over the standard air-box. For example - do a quick lap around sometime with top off of the air-box and without the filter element if you already haven't. Not something you want to do for too long - but you will know what BC is talking about. The noise is addictive - you can't help but throw down your foot and hear it open up.

Anyway - small subject in the scheme of things .

M...........
Old 01-30-2002, 19:08   #7 (permalink)
boris

air filter

If you think that is bad Bass, when I first bought my car, after a couple of weeks, thought I'd do a bit of a service, went to check the air filter, nothing!!! the thing was empty!!
Old 01-30-2002, 19:26   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

No filter... far out thats harsh man.

The filter was actually worth around the $70 mark, but I got it cheaper. It's not the best one on the market, but $70 aint that cheap for a filter.

It has only been letting dust through for a few days because I checked it a little while ago and it was fin. Im guessing some water from the recent rain we had damaged the filter somehow, so I doubt any damage was done.

As for the sound of the intake, yes it is addictive man. I absolutely love it, you gottta try it Acid.

When you thump it past people, downgear into high rpm or race another car I assure you that the sound of the intake will turn heads.

I love it when I am racing a commo. Initially the commo usually gets in front until the 3.9 gets wound up.. and when it does, the intake roars and the EA shoots past the commo.. hehehe.. must get them confused.

Ok, thats enough blabbing from me for now
Old 01-30-2002, 20:48   #9 (permalink)
AcidBurns

It's called Airboxing, and I have tried it, but on a Mitsubishi Lancer, Used to do it at the dandy drags, and yes, the vibrations going into your chair when you floor it is addictive, and again yes, it did turn heads! . HOWEVER, if it's gonna do damage, I'd rather listen to the humming of my exhaust...
Old 01-31-2002, 11:59   #10 (permalink)
Ea EnVy

ahha i was runniong my car for a week with out an air filter!!! the old one was absolutley ****ed, i ahdnt chanegd it sicne i bought the casr and all the mesh was falling out n shit.. i kept taking a detour around the spare part shop to gewt one, till i found oput it can casue serious damage, and yes.. whatta head turenr it was!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech