Simple XF mod that improves looks by a long shot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 17:54   #1 (permalink)
falconS

Simple XF mod that improves looks by a long shot

This is a small homemade mod that i did to the grille on my XF the other day. In my humble opinion it looks great, makes the XF look more agressive and sporty, and the best part is, it doesnt cost a cent.

This pic is not my XF, because i dont have one of the new grille yet. This pic was just photoshopped to remove the centre slat.

it only took me a day to do, mainly because i took my time so that i did a good job the first time, and so i wouldnt stuff it up and have to buy a new grille from the wreckers.

let me know what you think, and if you want more info one how i did it then just post some questions here.

PS- sorry DK for using your XF here, but it was the best front-on pic i could find with an original grille. Nice XF by the way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 191xf3.jpg (18.1 KB, 366 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
falconS

heres a larger pic of the new grille
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 191xf2.jpg (20.9 KB, 282 views)
Old 12-09-2002, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

or you could buy an XG ute grille and save youself some work ......
Old 12-10-2002, 00:17   #4 (permalink)
falconS

actually thats different. If you have a look at the attached pic of an XG ute, you can see several differences between it and the modified XF grille i made:

1. the section of the grille that the ford badge is attached to is an oval that clearly goes all the way to the back, the mod. XF grille has a rectangular flat section in the middle instead.

2. the edges of the XG grille are thicker than the mod. XF grille.

3. the open part of the grille (the part where you can see through to the radiator) is smaller on the XG grille than on the mod, XF grille.

Other downsides of putting an XG grille onto an XF sedan, are: nearly every second XF out there has one; it changes the look of the XF to an XG whereas my grille is different to any other ford model; and lastly, it costs about $30 to get an XG grille, my mod cost my nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1006965.jpg (23.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 12-10-2002, 13:47   #5 (permalink)
Let's Drive

Time is money mate, a day to mod that grille would've cost me way more than $30. Plus you can get the XG grill without the centre Ford badge, which IMO looks heaps better and saves you another $10.

But saying that, it is good to see that you have come up with ideas of how to change the look of your XF without spending too much money or time. Everyone has different tastes, so do what pleases yourself. I like the look of your grill, but unfortunately i don't like the look of badges on a car, so that sort of lowers my opinion.

Can you cut out the center bit to get rid of the Ford badge without damaging the rest of the grille?
You basically end up with a XG grill, but as you have already noted, there are some subtle differences. These subtle differences are what makes your car your own, so keep up the good work.
Old 12-10-2002, 15:49   #6 (permalink)
falconS

thanks for the constructive criticism, its always good to here people who give you their own reasons for not agreeing with you or liking what youve done, i respect that. As for the time is money argument, i'm sure that is probably true for you, but as i am a uni student, i dont have a lot of money, but i have a hell of a lot of time, so it worked out well for me. I should also mention that my XF is Vermillion fire, but i have the totally black front bumper, I also painted my front grille and rear tail lights silver, to break up the red and black, it looks good, especially the silver tail lights, but i think i may paint the front grille VF.

as for the no-badge version, i also like debadged cars, but i prefer it if just the boot lid badges are removed, i still like having the blue oval on the front. But, just for you, here is another version of the grille, without the badge and middle section.

personally i think it makes it look to VKish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 191xf4.jpg (20.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-10-2002, 22:29   #7 (permalink)
Currently in Brasil

The EA look!
ghentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
falconS

yeah, pretty close, dont really like it though. dunno why, just doesnt seem to .....gel.....????
Old 12-11-2002, 03:42   #9 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

has anyone got a picture of the svo xf grille???
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:50   #10 (permalink)
No More Shaggin Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by ghentboy
The EA look!
HA HA HA HA Nice one
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech