Slight Vibration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2004, 04:11   #1 (permalink)

Slight Vibration

Slight Vibration

Hi all. While driving at 100 k's I feel a slight vibration through the cabin and my seat etc. I have had it aligned, wheels balanced. Has anyone else had this annoying experience?

I dont know if it's a process of elimination from tailshaft balancing or uni replacement, where does one stop or begin? One mechanic told me I will never get rid of it. Has anyone had this problem and eliminated it and who is the know in this phenomen? P.S i have an AU2 sedan with 54,000 klm.
FAIRMONTAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 04:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Slight Vibration

Check rear tyres for out of round or seperation.Ive been in the tyre industry for a while,and if you can feel it in the seat its nearly always a rear tyre problem.
clevoxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:08   #3 (permalink)

thanks clevoxt, will check that one out more thouroughly tomorrow at bob janes!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:03   #4 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

I had a vibration in my ute - I don't think I felt it through the seat that much though, it was more something I could hear and feel through the foot-rest quite well when I put my foot firmly on it (and through the gear lever too from memory).

Anyway, I searched around to try and figure out the best wheel place to take it to and settled on one place to try - they did a wheel balance and rotation and most importantly, an alignment (castor/camber too - not just toe). A couple of castor-shims were required, but they got it spot-on - car's been perfect ever since and handles better than ever at high speed.

The point being, that wheel place (the local Tyre Power franchise) said that these cars were particularly 'hard' to get the wheel alignment spot-on and most places don't seem to do it properly (I dunno if he meant XRs or Falcons in general or just AU series Falcons), but anyway, I saw another bloke from interstate had his XR in there a while back and said that all the places he'd been to so far hadn't been able to solve the problem, but the guys there were confident they'd get it right for him and I believe they did but I don't know for sure how it turned out.

Anyway, the moral of the long-winded story is try a few different places, just cause one or two places can't get it right for you doesn't mean you should eliminate alignment etc. as the problem, you may just need to find a place that really knows their stuff for your sort of car.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 19:22   #5 (permalink)

I would have to agree with your mechanic. My XD has had an annoying slight wobble at 100 for the last 12 years. Have replaced diff, uni joints, front wheel bearings, had on vehicle balancing preformed, new wheels and tyres etc. I've replaced everything except front stub shafts, so maybe this is where the secret is.

Seems 1 in every 10 Ford's have this problem and it isn't wheel balance.
Old 10-23-2004, 19:28   #6 (permalink)

thanks guys, it is hard to pinpoint I will get the castor camber done ( most skip this as it's too time consuming) If it doesn't go the car will!
Old 10-24-2004, 03:19   #7 (permalink)

The series2 au had major wheel alignment probs form factory,they were toeing them out around 4mm which caused major wear to the inside of the tyre and to make problems worse they put dunlops on them which scalloped very badly due to the au's soft suspension.If somebody has put one of these tyres on the back it will cause this problem,ive seen and changed heaps of them.
On the subject of wheel alignments,ive been a wheel aligner for around 10 years and the amount of cars ive seen come in for camber wear is amazing.Alot of the "big name" places will not adjust it,they will just toe and go,so to speak,and for the price of a wheely these days they should do it in the price.A camber and toe adjust on a falcon should take no longer than 20 mins.Some falcons will require camber kits to get it right,cause the factory bolts dont allow enough shims to be added,if thats the case id recommend doing it.You dont want any more than -0.8deg camber and around +1.0 toe,castor is ok as long as its fairly equal left and right.Castor wont wear tyres,just make the car pull either left or right.
I would recommend a wheel alignment from a reputable suspension place rather than a tyre shop.
clevoxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:31   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Had problems in my old XD with idler arm.Got one with harder bushings and it was fine...On latter models 5 Ltr Windsors ....Check the Harmonic Ballancer....If clutch has been replaced?? Suspect that the flywheel has been machined wrong as in not parrallel to axis of mian shaft...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:38   #9 (permalink)

I wonder whether engine harmonics play a part here, my mechanic noticed a slight vibration right through the car at around 1800-1900 rpm, the cruising revs at about 100 k's. Is it possible this is transfering through the car?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:59   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRMONTAU2
I wonder whether engine harmonics play a part here, my mechanic noticed a slight vibration right through the car at around 1800-1900 rpm, the cruising revs at about 100 k's. Is it possible this is transfering through the car?
Try driving in 1st and 2nd at that RPM and see what happens. If its RPM related it would point to the engine/gearbox. Speed related would point to the rear driveline & possibly the box. If it's only in one gear, then it's most likely the box.

So you don't get any extra vibe thru the steering wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech