Ford Forums banner

slow start

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  waz 
#1 ·
seems the ol'e girl (EF V8) is starting to give me some grief in the starting department, in times gone by all I need to do was reach in, turn the key and the donk would fire into life on the first pot, now it winds over for a while before it decides to kick.
I have done the usual change the filters/plugs, clean the dissy cap and button, but I'm not game to go much further, could the timing be off, I have put the timing light on it, but all I can see is one big mark, no real timing marks, plus I don't know what the timing should be, I can't really see a reason for it to be, but...

#2 ·
Hi Waz
There are a couple of thing to get checked one is the battery and the major thing is that to make sure that the fuel pump is hold residual line pressure that means fuel in the rail after it is switched off if this is not present it will cause extended cranking one way to over come the long cranking is to cycle the ignition switch on/off several times this will operate the fuel pump and youll get fuel pressure to the injectors this is another way of diagnoiseing the concern if this fixes your problem it means the engine hasnt got line pressure in the fuel rail when starting i hope this explains it better to you the way to fix this is to either replace the fuel pump or the regulator a good mechcanic will be able to tell once you have a fuel pressure guage on the car

#3 ·
tried both of these unfortunately, the fuel pump does operate for about 2-3secs when ignition switch to on, but as far as I know this is normal, it has always done it, the battery is fine, it has only started to do it in the last month or two, I even took of my cold air pipe and put the original snorkel on, but that didn't help either.:(

#4 ·
Is it hard to start only when cold, or is hard to start when hot as well?

The most likely problem is either lack of fuel when starting, or that the injectors are leaking down and flooding the engine.

A quick fuel pressure check and leak down test could identify your problem.

Salada

Jim

#5 ·
don't be saying leaky injectors, ouch, it's the same hot or cold, although I do notice, if I stop it mid crank then crank it again it fires pretty much straight off, looks like it's into ford for an $80 diagnostic, I hate those, never know if they tellin fibs or not.

#7 ·
Hi Waz
Have you tried to cycle the ignition onand off a couple of time before starting and if the engine starts up straightaway it is a lack of fuel going to the injectors like i said before there is no residual line pressure. Yes the fuel pump will work when the ignition is turned on but is it holding some pressure in the lines. where abouts are you if your in sydney i could help you
regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.