Sluggish 250 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2002, 14:07   #1 (permalink)

Sluggish 250

Someone might have a solution for a problem I'm having with my XF ute. The engine in my ute was old, tired, and had a quarter mile time of, oh, probably around 2 minutes 37 seconds, give or take a few seconds allowing for my reaction times ...... Fuel consumption was pretty bad - around 180km per tank city driving.

I transplanted my newish reco 250 carby engine and auto trannie into my XF ute from my XF sedan. The engine is strong, and had only done about 10,000km in 4 years. In the sedan the engine pulled like a train, and trannie kicked down nice and hard. It was strong enough to leave a few V8's in its wake. Fuel consumption was terrific - around 6-700km per tank of petrol for freeway driving, and about 500 for city driving.

Not now!

Accelleration is still as sluggish as ever, and consumption is only marginally better at about 280-300km a tank city driving. The carby was checked and is fine, air cleaner, plugs, leads, etc are all new. And the exhaust pipe still has carbon deposits all over it. Start-up is fine, but taking off the car splutters and coughs and takes off so verrrrrry slowly!

Can anyone suggest why my car, with new engine and trannie, won't deliver?
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2002, 14:17   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Check all your vacuum lines, but i dont think it's that.... Will it rev out in neutral???? I think you may have something wrong with your exhaust, probably a blocked cat. Does it have the standard exhaust manifold??? If it does, when the cats block up they misfire on cyls 3&4, check the plugs and see if they are a different colour to the others.....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 17:59   #3 (permalink)
GTHO4

Another possible reason is the utes have a lower diff ratio ( 3.23:1 - 3.50:1 ) so its fuel consumption is gonna be more and on a long run it's going to feel slow ( unless you have changed diffs ).
In a sedan the diff ratio would be higher either 2.77:1 or 2.93:1 so fuel consumption is better plus is quicker on the long run.
Old 01-15-2002, 18:16   #4 (permalink)

The ute should take off quicker with a lower diff ratio but sacrifice top end speed. Maybe someone swapped the diff in the ute for a 2.75 ratio?
Easy way to fix it is to junk the 250 and put a 351 in, one like Pete XR9UTE is doing should suffice.:s6:

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
GTHO4

Here is some medication for your problem. :s5

http://home.iprimus.com.au/Joey73/Joeys-Fairlane.htm
Old 01-16-2002, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Hi carolyn :)

As someone else suggested, if your ute has a cat converter it may be blocked (get rid of it just to be sure:), this would make it gutless and suck fuel.

Another thing that comes to mind is make sure the carby is actually opening all the way when the accelerator is on the floor, especially as you mention the trans is a bit reluctant to kick down.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 15:38   #7 (permalink)

Question

Thanks to all for advice. The cat isn't the prob - it's fairly new and off the sedan too. Carby should be OK, but that it might be sticking open could be a prob - Ill check it out, and check the spark plugs too, even though they're only a month old. I thought the diff ratio on this one was 2.77 (the ute is apparently one of only about 6 of the type built in 86 - it comes with some bizzaar options) but I'll get under it tonight to check it out. I've also changed the MAP sensor and the Bosch computer thing (in the passenger side kick panel) from the sedan, so as far as I can tell it should run like the sedan. If it's not the carby, any other thoughts?

My other half says go the 351 since we've got one spare, but apart from it being illegal for this model, I am determined to have the ute running just as the sedan used to run with this 6!
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech