Small self-repairs question AU-falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2003, 18:59   #1 (permalink)

Small self-repairs question AU-falcon

Just wondering, what would i require to fix this job.
My mum got hit in the back of the car a couple of months ago by someone in a ute (my sister says) but it was at a roundabout and happened just when she started to take off. And she thought it was something wrong with the auto transmisition. And thought i did something to the car the day before. Anyway i can't belive she didn't even look in the rear mirror or anything, its not a big damage, just looks ugly.
Just wondering could it be possible to repair it myself, i'm thinking of getting a filler and fit it up and sand it back then get some paint and go over it? Any ideas?
Also is there such a filler product and what is its name, if you can tell me where to purchase it from that would be great as well.

Thanks

[IMG]www.users.tpg.com.au/taybelz/IMG_1225%20(Small).jpg[/IMG]

ps.dude had a pointy thing at the front of his car hence the square cut in.
taybelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 20:06   #2 (permalink)

The only prolblem if you do it yourself it could end up looking worse than it did to start with. You can use plastic filler (also known as bog) in bumper bars but it doesnt stick to the plastic very well and has a tendinsy to crack out. If you really want to have a go at it heres what you should do.
1- scuff the area of the damage and probably an area 2 inches around using 120 grit sand paper. dont sand back to the plastic because the filler will stick better to the scuffed up paint.

2-mix the filler up and wipe it in.

3-leave it for 2-3 hours to dry.

4-sand using a flat block with 120grit and then 240grit

5-using 240grit sand out around the filler about 5 inches or even better use some scotch brite with prepsol and wipe off with a rag.

6-mask up the area with paper out to where you scuffed up the paint and use a good under coat.

7-let dry for however long it says to on the product and rub the area with 600grit wet and dry and the 800grit. rub futher out with the 800 grit.

8-mask up again and spray your top coats and dont spray right up to your masking because it will leave a hard edge.

This isnt the way I normaly do things like this but its probably the easiest way for you.
You can buy plastic filler from most car shops like super cheap.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:06   #3 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Don't use the touch up paint kits. The colour match is very average at best. Go to Autobarn or one of them car accessory places to get a colour match for the paint.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 14:22   #4 (permalink)

The pictures did not work so I have no idea of the damage but AU1 rear bars are about $150 change over and AU2 are about $170 plus painting also if the dent is not to bad a good crash repairer can fix it.For example I dented my front bar going over a dip too fast and the crash repairer changed $100 to take the dent out and spray the entire front bar.Get a quote first you may be surprised.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech