Ford Forums banner

Smoke??

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Brian11580 
#1 ·
I have some new problems in my car and seeings that you guys helped me last time (Thanks) I will see if you can help me this time.

My car is overheating very quickly an there is some smoke? coming from the engine side of the exhaust manifold. The smoke smells like rubber or oil burning. When the car has been running for a while the smoke seems to stop. The coolant level seems to be staying alright.
When I am driving at a constant speed the temp levels out at around the M-A on the gauge, but when I am standing still the temp rises pretty quickly. If it was this alone I would think that it could be the thermostat but with the smoke seemingly related I am not so sure.
I dont want to be driving the car at the moment with the smoke and the heating up very quickly.
Any help tonight would be great as I need to drive the car tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks.

#2 ·
high temp

I don't know why you are getting the smoke but I might know why it is heating up quickly when standing still. It may be your fan for your radiator, check the fans clutch. To do this when engine off try to rotate the fan and see if there is some force trying to stop it, if there is it is most likely fine. But if there is not you may need to change it. I checked mine while the engine was running and the fan was spinning but with some gloves on I could easily stop it and you should not be able to.

I do not approve in checking the fan when the engine is running I only did it as I was sure that the clutch was stuffed and just wanted to know 100%.

#4 ·
Welsh plugs? Water pump? Low water?

#6 ·
mmmm interesting one.

how about a seized water pump? fan belt burning on the pump and car getting hot when it's still but cooler when mooving. could be.

could also be the clutch fan maybe?(edit) oops, not quick enough.

the smoke could just be oil leaking from the rocker cover after the car is turned off and then burning off when as the car gets hot again. possably not related to the over heating.

not sure about any of this, but hope it might help. :)

#7 ·
Smoke?

Thanks for all the quick replies!!
Any one have any ides on how much a new water pump is? It sounds as though this could be the problem.
With the water pump not working could the smoke be the engine heating up so much that it is burning the oil??

#11 ·
Chris, reading your post reminds me of the exact same problem i had about 2 months ago. I had overheating, a rubber burning smell and SMOKE! How old is yer cat? In my case, the cat was badly dissolved and the little bits had broken off and were blocking the rest of my exhaust system. I also had a slight hissing sound on full throttle aswell. It would be a good idea to check yer cat out.

Brent

#12 ·
Hey Chris,
I had this problem in my XF a couple of weeks ago.
It may not be the same thing, but it's worth a look at.
My head gasket had broken towards the back of the block, releasing water onto the gearbox. This was causing my car to overheat (when stopped for some weird reason). I didn't realise this till much later. It then began to overheat so much it started to crack the radiator hoses. Found out the thermostat was also gone because of this. Swapped that, and it keeped overheating.
The rubber burning smell was from the hoses. The white smoke & hissing was from water spraying onto the exhaust manifold when under throthle. Worked out it was my head gasket. When I took the head off, I realised it had been leaking at the back of the block which was causing my car to lose water and overheat.

You may want to check your block all 'round to see if you're not leaking any water from the head gasket. Look for water marks running down.

#13 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas.
The overheating was due to a faulty thermostat.

It seems that the smoke and burning smell are from oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold when the car is cold and the burning when the engine gets hot.

I am going to give the engine a good claen this weekend and see just where the oil is keaking from.

Has anyone here ever had a mechanic change a head gasket? and if so, how much did they charge you?
I think I need mine done and am not sure if it would be worthwhile doing or getting a reco engine installed.

G
#15 ·
I seem to have the same issue. My car is 10 yrs old, been well maintenced. 1993 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convert. Seems to only do it every now an then. an when I look at the temp gague, its never at normal running temp. every now an again it might get there, my hoses for my raditor needed changed becuz it was expanding. after running the car for awhile the engine seems too stay hot for a really long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.