Snorkels, Air Boxes and Intake Pipes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 19:27   #1 (permalink)

Question Snorkels, Air Boxes and Intake Pipes

Before I get Burnt I have searched for threads concerning intakes and I cannot seem to find specifics related to my questions.
Hopefully I can clear things up for any future searches regarding the AU 6 at least.
1. Will the EL GT Intake snorkel fit an EF airbox?
2. Will it fit the AU airbox?
3. Are any of the intake pipes(the one from the airbox to the TB)
different between models, eg is the EF stocker and XR6 larger because of the better flowing airbox lid? The AU stocker is fairly restrictive at the exit from the airbox, is the AU XR6 Intake Pipe larger?
Please tell me if I am wrong but I see little point in improving the snorkel and the airbox if the intake pipe diameter at the exit from the airbox starts out small. Ideally it should be as large or as close to the exit diameter of the airbox(in the case of the EF that is 70mm compared to 58mm for the AU) In retrospect, perhaps the larger snorkel and EF airbox lid may create positive pressure inside the airbox when keeping the small exit pipe diameter.

Any thoughts?
Cheers from the Great White AU Slug

AU Forte, EL GT Intake Snorkel and EF Airbox with more mods to come
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 22:52   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The EL GT (same as the EL XR8) snorkle will fit both the EF and AU airbox's. The best flowing airbox lids were actually the EF ones with the tube inside leading down to a 57mm hole in the centre of the lid. They actually outflowed the AU lids by about 20%.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:15   #3 (permalink)

Thanks EDXR8, Do you have any idea about the pipe from the airbox to the TB, are there any differences between models?

Old 10-20-2002, 17:58   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I don't know much about the TB to airbox on the 6cyl. The best is to get a mandrel bent 3" pipe. Herrod's do them HPC coated for a couple of hundred, or just get your exhaust shop to bend one up. I think they give you about 4kw.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 19:24   #5 (permalink)

Thanks EDXR8.

I may try to modify one from a V8 or as you said get the exhaust shop to give me a quote, I'll see how the funds are.

Myron.

Old 10-27-2002, 16:47   #6 (permalink)

OK, Just as an answer to my own questions(Hard to believe nobody else knew)the EF airbox lid itself is no different from the EL and AU. However, their is a tube type setup inside the lid that when exiting the lid is about 80mm. The standard AU exit tube will not fit because it is only 50mm. So for anyone thinking of this mod you will need the EF airbox to TB pipe as well or do as I did and modify it with a piece of 80mm PVC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech