Ford Forums banner

So Close, But the Government Stops the Train....

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  XAHardtop 
#1 ·
Sitting almost in sight of my beady eyes at Qantas Freight are:

Two alloy cylinder heads
Nice alloy intake
Camshaft
Rockers

Now, Customs to deal with...... (Aussie Pete bends over in anticipation, 15% duty, then 10% GST on the freight, parts AND Duty - imagine paying a tax on a tax :eek:o1: )

#2 ·
Mate, thats not real good. Hope the parts get fitted ASAP.

#4 ·
Aussie Pete said:

Two alloy cylinder heads
Nice alloy intake
Camshaft
Rockers

Now, Customs to deal with...... (Aussie Pete bends over in anticipation, 15% duty, then 10% GST on the freight, parts AND Duty - imagine paying a tax on a tax :eek:o1: )
Hey... just watch out for the "random custom's check fee"...

Customs like to do random checks on packages... and you have to pay $90 for the priveledge of them opening your mail.

That comes in really handy when you order a $40 item, and end up having to pay $130 for it. :-(

#5 ·
Re: Re: So Close, But the Government Stops the Train....

XR8chic said:

Customs like to do random checks on packages... and you have to pay $90 for the priveledge of them opening your mail.

That comes in really handy when you order a $40 item, and end up having to pay $130 for it. :-(
I've got the stuff in a special area away from the inspectors. Here's hoping!

#6 ·
Re: Re: So Close, But the Government Stops the Train....

XR8chic said:

I got caught in the same way.

#7 ·
man that sucks all the taxes and crap you gotta pay!

ahh well. i would love to get some seats that are in the holdens down there, but would have to pay a pretty penny to get them here.

when i could get some vette seats for less. brand new dropshipped next day air infact. but ohh well.

G
#9 ·
Aussie Pete said:

Two alloy cylinder heads
Nice alloy intake
Camshaft
Rockers

**** it must have come down; normally it's 20% duty and it remember it used to be 22% sales tax!
What I hate is all the stuff the freight company hits you with as well as all that; personal services fee,airport delivery fee, sittin' on the dunny wasting time fee!

Pete.

#10 ·
I must have been lucky then..But that was before Sept 11.
U.p.s to the door.Mind you My Brother sent them for me.So it "looked" like a gift??

#12 ·
One way to get around this problem is to have the letters 'NCV'(No Commercial Value) plastered all over the boxes.

And also have the words Demonstration only on it too.

The only time you have to pay the duty and GST is if the items are of a specific value or over (i cant remember what it is though).

I have heard of a lot of people who have done this, simply by asking the sales person to write these simple little words on the package before it leaves.

No body loses out because of this (except the government), because the company still gets all their money and you get your goods at the price you payed, without all the other **** stacked on top of it....and the government...well who gives a sh!t, they get enough money.

#13 ·
Yes but if they happen to do a spot check and open the package you can get fined (and still have to pay all the duty, customs etc) and I think in extreme cases they can confiscate the goods. Not worth trying to cheat IMHO.

#15 ·
Falchoon said:
Yes but if they happen to do a spot check and open the package you can get fined (and still have to pay all the duty, customs etc) and I think in extreme cases they can confiscate the goods. Not worth trying to cheat IMHO.
If you get a friend who owns an auto business, you get them to order it and have them get the other company to write "demonstration only" on it, but if you purchase it yourself you get them to write 'NCV' on it which means that you have not payed anything for the items, therefore there can be no duty on it...its the same as having someone send you a present.

#16 ·
MAD XF:
I asked our Customs Clearance people about these ideas you have. Indeed it is risky because fines are payable and in my case I have conduct related to my job position where an offence related to false customs declarations can lead to dismissal.

Anyhow, how's this for rude:

A$1008.93 to get these parts from one side of a roller door to the other. Duty, GST, airport fee, terminal fee etc etc.

BLOODY RIP OFF!

If these parts were available from an Australian manufacturer I wouldn't mind so much, but there are no local sources for these parts.

#17 ·
I got caught importing wood grain dash parts from the UK. I got a phone call from customs asking what the parts were. I made the mistake of saying they went in a car. Thankyou sir that will be $500.

If I had said anythin else it would not have cost so much.

#20 ·
Aussie Pete said:
MAD XF:
I asked our Customs Clearance people about these ideas you have. Indeed it is risky because fines are payable and in my case I have conduct related to my job position where an offence related to false customs declarations can lead to dismissal.

Fair enough then.
The reason I mentioned this stuff is cause at my last job we received some demo equipment to the value of around $6000 and we did not have to pay any duties or GST cause it was demo equipment.

There is of course always a way around things.

Like if you get a friend to buy the stuff for you and send then to you as a gift, and so on, and so on.

I understand that you have to follow the rules and such...wouldn't want you to lose your job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.